turbo snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
how many snails and hermit crabs can I keep in a 36 gallon?

30 snails?

do they count for bioload?

not much bio load from snails, but 30 turbo snails will need supplemental feeding, unless your tank is overrun with algae.
30 snails is way too many for a 36 IMO.

I agree with Mr.X 30 snails is way to many for 36g. I would go for ten or less on the snails, I'm assuming that you will have fish also in the same aquarium.

OK, so I have read advice all ofer the board on the number of snails per gallon and I settled on a medium and large turbo snail for my 29 gallon plus 4 hermits. Is that too few?

Yes i would like to know also. I have a 30 gallon tank with two breeding clowns what snail should i get?

For both of you w/30g tanks, I'd do 3 nassarius (they'll live under the sand and come out at feeding time - awesome lil buggers IMO), and maybe 3 astreas ( 'cause they're likely easy to find locally), and 3 ceriths. Ceriths don't turn over as easily as astreas. They turn over and they'll die. Nassarius snails can do backflips. :)

Some don't like to mix hermits with their snails as hermit can kill'm off for their shells. 2 things about that; 1) put some empty shells in a bit larger than your hermits, and 2) thats what crabs do. I'd just update the snails from time to time.

Anyway, that's the number I'd put in there. Others opinions may vary, but you don't want too many in new tanks since they'll likely not have sufficient food sources yet

THat is great advice. Thanks. Do any of what you mentioned eat this stuff as my turbo snails don't seem to be touching it?

img_1239570_0_ffec347103fdd9b78d1062bc8c7b41a0.jpg

I've heard of some having luck with turbos eating it. Another told me those miniature hermits (the ones for $1.) cleaned his. Your mileage may vary.

I have two clown fish and great lighting so algae grows kind of quick. I bought 1 turbo snail yesterday and they are like machines! I think one is all i need for my 30 gallon.

The one thing I didn't like about Turbos was when they get big. I see you aren't doing any coral yet, but if you do, mine was knocking them down all the time, even smaller rocks... The only hermit that I've had issues with killing is my halloween hermit. I have to watch what sand sifters I get. He's killed some nice strombus :(

If I pick up my turbos and put them on the hair algae, they will eat it, but if I don't do that, they never find some of it. Even when I do place them in the algae rich areas, they tend to eat a random pattern and then leave the area before completing the task. Such is life in the little tank.

Turbos bad, not in my opinion. Will I put any more in my tank, Nope. They just get really big, and quite clumsy. If you have all your rock stacked in such a way that it can't be knocked down, and all your coral the same way, go for it. I got sick of it pulling my hammer coral out of the ground.

my turbo is a bum lol he sits next to the power head all day. im looking for a new way to clean up algae that wont mess with clown breeding.... any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom