Turbos dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have just recently found three of my turbo snails that had died :(. I have been doing more research on the temp requirements and everything that I have found says the max temp should be 78 deg. Since it is summer my tank has been hovering around 80 deg with a fan blowing over the sump as well as across the surface of the tank. Do you think the temp has anything to do with the deaths, I do have three others that seem to still be doing fine. I am planning a trip to that fish place in a about a week and want to replenish my cleaning crew. Don't want to throw money away on more turbos, cerith, or nassarius snails at this point if the temp is going to kill them. I would rather wait until cooler weather.

I dont think 80 degrees has anything to do with it. I know several folks that have them in 82 degrees. How are you acclimating them?

I agree with Mike, temp has nothing to do with it. My tank sits at a contant 81 degrees and my turos have been living happily for the last 4-5 months without any deaths. My guess is that it was those hermits you've got in there.

I have had these turbos since I initially cycled my tank several months ago, maybe their time was just up.

I've also heard that the Mexican turbos like "cooler" water (mid 70s), but I had a couple that lasted several years in my 79-80 degree tank - so I wouldn't think temperature was your issue.

How many snails do you have in your tank? (72g?) Maybe you're overpopulated and they starved?

I only have three left in there, but there was always ample algae available when I had six so I don't think starving is the issue.

Like stated above...I think your Hermits wanted larger shells for themselves.
My temp goes up to 82 and my turbos are fine...

Well at least its good to know that the temp wasn't a factor, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom