Two blue damsals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obriene2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I have two blue damsals in my 29g tank. I would love to add a clown fish to the mix. The guys at the LFS said my damsals would murder any other fish I add. Is this true?? He said I would have to take out my damsals in order to add any other fish! What do y'all think?

damsels are territorial little demons
the only 2 clowns I know of that can handle these demons are the clarkie clown
and the maroon clowns
I have both and they keep the demons in line

I'd also suggest you ditch the damsels lol. They are nasty little buggers and probably would be a nightmare for any fish you add. And when people get clowns they are usually quite small so that makes it even worse. lol

If you bring back the damsels you could start adding "happy" fish without worrying about aggression. I';d stay away from the maroon clowns though as they can be nasty as well. But a pair of oscellaris, mochas or even perculas would work fine in the cube. I had my b&w clowns in my cube for quite awhile along with a bunch of other nice fish and it worked really well. :)

you can trade your damsels in for a pair of chromis they are very docile fish and would get along with a clown
good luck catching those lil buggers they are fast and if you have rock work your in for a battle lol

you can trade your damsels in for a pair of chromis they are very docile fish and would get along with a clown good luck catching those lil buggers they are fast and if you have rock work your in for a battle lol
Don't even remind me of the day I had to catch my three striped damsel. I was hovering my tank for three hours with my net, very frustrated. Ugh. I finally caught it when all of my rock was on the ground and I trapped it in the corner with three nets.

you can trade your damsels in for a pair of chromis they are very docile fish and would get along with a clown good luck catching those lil buggers they are fast and if you have rock work your in for a battle lol

What fish stores will trade fish? Only local fish stores?

Ack! Sorry. I'm new to this app and still getting used to it. But what fish stores will trade fish? Is it mostly the local places?

My local pet smart will take fish they woulnt trade or give credit but they take them if there free

Thanks guys for all your responses! I ended up purchasing a six line wrasse, and two baby domino damsels. Within hours, one of my damsels was picking on the newbies so I said screw it, I'm going to take him out of my tank. Well after all my live rock and coral was out of my tank, I caught a damsel and returned him to my LFS. After my water finally cleared up, I realized I caught the wrong damsel. I caught my more mellow damsel and returned him to the store :( So I'm stuck with my mean damsel. One of my dominos just died yesterday but the other domino and wrasse are doing ok with my bully. It's not as bad as I thought. He chases him some but it's not obsessive!

Dominos are one of the more agressive, in my experience. I would get him out if he is misbehaving. Agressive fish cause stress for their tankmates and stress causes health issues.

Back
Top Bottom