type of water for sw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
ive seen u guys talk about ro water and i know this is a dumb question but can u use tap water to fill your sw tank....or do uhave to use this ro water and what exactly is ro water and how do i get it. (im setting up my tank this week) oh, and its gonna be a fowlr (30gal)

most of us actually started on tap water, it's just undesirable as most tap is loaded with nutrients like for example mine contains 6-9ppm nitrate, plus measurable amounts of other solids like phosphates etc., will lead to excess algae blooms. if you are not going to do a reef (where nitrates are critical), you can get away with tap or maybe faucet filtered water, like pur or callogen.

crage34 said:
ive seen u guys talk about ro water and i know this is a dumb question but can u use tap water to fill your sw tank....or do uhave to use this ro water and what exactly is ro water and how do i get it. (im setting up my tank this week) oh, and its gonna be a fowlr (30gal)

I got mine at Wal-mart for $0.58 per gallon. Just read the label and make sure it says it was purified using reverse osmosis. Mine is a 75 gal so it cost me about $50.00. Having a 30 gal, it'll be less than $20. I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make but compared to all the other associated costs, the water is relatively cheap.

You can get an ro/di filter unit on ebay for $135.00 shipped. If you use tap water and yours is anything like mine, you will be fighting cyano constantly. :roll:

r/o water at my local grocery store is only 13cents a gallon. sounds like WalMart is ripping you off...since my LFS only charges 20 cents per gallon.

saberry said:
crage34 said:

I got mine at Wal-mart for $0.58 per gallon. Just read the label and make sure it says it was purified using reverse osmosis. Mine is a 75 gal so it cost me about $50.00. Having a 30 gal, it'll be less than $20. I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make but compared to all the other associated costs, the water is relatively cheap.

I bought distilled water from Walmart for that price. I didnt notice any labels on the bottled water saying purified using RO. What was displayed on the label of the bottled water? I recall seeing distilled, drinking and spring...

did u have to buy one of those 5 gal water jugs for drinking water like in doctors offices, to fill up at walmart(thats gonna take 6 trips for my 30 gallon)....also is it ok for me to mix the salt into the water in the tank? ( for the first fill up) also should i add the sand before or after fill up?(for the first fill up)

sorry for all the stupid questions but i was wondering when the water evaporates out of your tank and u top it back off, since the salt doesnt evaporate with the water do u top the tank back off with the regular salt mixture or do u top off with a mixture with less salt in it?

malkore said:
r/o water at my local grocery store is only 13cents a gallon. sounds like WalMart is ripping you off...since my LFS only charges 20 cents per gallon.

I can get it cheaper if I want to supply my own containers, but that's not worth the hassel. I assume for 13 cents, this is what you are having to do.

First of all, don't consider any question that you don't have the answer for "a stupid question". That especially applies with fish and sw tanks in particular.

Definitely top off evaporated water with fresh water. Use the sw for water changes and the initial fill-up.

One of my local grocery stores has a water unit outside that sells ro water for 25 cents per gallon.

See if your lfs will lend you the 5 gallon jugs that you need for initial fill-up.
Invest in a 5 gallon jug or two to have for transports after that for water changes.

You can mix your initial water in the tank. In regards to the timing of adding the sand, I would suggest mixing the water first and then adding the sand slowly after all the water has been mixed.

13cents per gallon for the refill. The initiall 5 gallon plastic carboy, with build in handle, is like $8.50, filled. So yeah, you're paying almost $8 for a 5 gallon plastic jug...but it will come in handy at every water change.

Personally, I"m asking for an R/O unit for christmas :)

thanks alot guys this really helps!....one more question...after i add the water to my tank im gonna let the phs run over night to mix the salt good and then check the water...then add the sand....then im gonna get live rock....will the live rock be enough to start my cycle? also let me clarify, i should top off with just fresh water(nosalt), is this correct....thanks alot for the fast responses. im so ready to start my tank and have so many questions...u guys are great

Yep, NON-salted water for top-offs. R/O preferred.

From what I've read, yes the live rock should provide enough decaying material to cycle the tank.

k...thanks guys.....this may sound dumb but this really cleared up some confusion for me :lol: i plan to get it goin this weekend :mrgreen: CANT WAIT

Back
Top Bottom