Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

type of water for sw?

ive seen u guys talk about ro water and i know this is a dumb question but can u use tap water to fill your sw tank....or do uhave to use this ro water and what exactly is ro water and how do i get it. (im setting up my tank this week) oh, and its gonna be a fowlr (30gal)

Old 06-22-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

most of us actually started on tap water, it's just undesirable as most tap is loaded with nutrients like for example mine contains 6-9ppm nitrate, plus measurable amounts of other solids like phosphates etc., will lead to excess algae blooms. if you are not going to do a reef (where nitrates are critical), you can get away with tap or maybe faucet filtered water, like pur or callogen.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: type of water for sw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crage34
ive seen u guys talk about ro water and i know this is a dumb question but can u use tap water to fill your sw tank....or do uhave to use this ro water and what exactly is ro water and how do i get it. (im setting up my tank this week) oh, and its gonna be a fowlr (30gal)
I got mine at Wal-mart for $0.58 per gallon. Just read the label and make sure it says it was purified using reverse osmosis. Mine is a 75 gal so it cost me about $50.00. Having a 30 gal, it'll be less than $20. I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make but compared to all the other associated costs, the water is relatively cheap.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get an ro/di filter unit on ebay for $135.00 shipped. If you use tap water and yours is anything like mine, you will be fighting cyano constantly.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

r/o water at my local grocery store is only 13cents a gallon. sounds like WalMart is ripping you off...since my LFS only charges 20 cents per gallon.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: type of water for sw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crage34
I got mine at Wal-mart for $0.58 per gallon. Just read the label and make sure it says it was purified using reverse osmosis. Mine is a 75 gal so it cost me about $50.00. Having a 30 gal, it'll be less than $20. I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make but compared to all the other associated costs, the water is relatively cheap.
I bought distilled water from Walmart for that price. I didnt notice any labels on the bottled water saying purified using RO. What was displayed on the label of the bottled water? I recall seeing distilled, drinking and spring...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

did u have to buy one of those 5 gal water jugs for drinking water like in doctors offices, to fill up at walmart(thats gonna take 6 trips for my 30 gallon)....also is it ok for me to mix the salt into the water in the tank? ( for the first fill up) also should i add the sand before or after fill up?(for the first fill up)

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry for all the stupid questions but i was wondering when the water evaporates out of your tank and u top it back off, since the salt doesnt evaporate with the water do u top the tank back off with the regular salt mixture or do u top off with a mixture with less salt in it?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
r/o water at my local grocery store is only 13cents a gallon. sounds like WalMart is ripping you off...since my LFS only charges 20 cents per gallon.
I can get it cheaper if I want to supply my own containers, but that's not worth the hassel. I assume for 13 cents, this is what you are having to do.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

First of all, don't consider any question that you don't have the answer for "a stupid question". That especially applies with fish and sw tanks in particular.

Definitely top off evaporated water with fresh water. Use the sw for water changes and the initial fill-up.

One of my local grocery stores has a water unit outside that sells ro water for 25 cents per gallon.

See if your lfs will lend you the 5 gallon jugs that you need for initial fill-up.
Invest in a 5 gallon jug or two to have for transports after that for water changes.

You can mix your initial water in the tank. In regards to the timing of adding the sand, I would suggest mixing the water first and then adding the sand slowly after all the water has been mixed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com