ughhhhhhh im having a tank leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed it yesterday morning. Its weird though. There's this black rubber that's on the inside of the tank that outlines the sides of the tank and now some of that rubber has pushed itself in between the corner where two glasses meet.

Is there anything I can do? Or is my tank doomed? I really don't want to come home to my fish dead on the floor along with shattered glass and 36 gallons of water

Oh also it's not dripping a lot of water. The leak is just moist

Actually, I would drain to a little below where the seam is coming apart, unless it's the whole side, in which case I would go with a new tank because it will probably break soon.

what about the vapor that uncured silicone puts off? i'm not sure i want that potent vinegar smell near an inhabited aquarium. i think i would completely empty the tank.

Agh the moisture I feel is only at the bottom of the tank...so I should scrap the tank entirely and get a new one?

So what's better? Should I start up a new tank and cycle it while my fish and pistol shrimp are in my old tank? Or do I sell my fish to the lfs while I'm setting up the tank..

I've heard I can't use the same sand from my old tank and put it in the new. Is that true? Would it also be better if I use my tank water to fill up the new tank?

how old is this tank? if it's relatively new, you can use the sand. if it's a couple years old there's a good chance it's full of gunk you don't want to disturb.

Its been up since January 31 soooo its been up 8-9 months now. The sand under the top layer looks nice n clean

i'd be concerned about a 9 month old sand bed. i might at least rinse it in some salt water before adding it. if there is an ammonia spike, it will be from your sand bed.

Ok I might swoop by petco tomorrow and picck up a new tank. I'm also thinking of just waiting to see if the tank is really leaking or its just me haha I get worried fast so as soon as I thought I felt the side was moist I freaked and thought LEAK!!! If I do the tank switch ill come back to this post and let you guys know how it went

Thank you for your advice guys:] and Mr.X I'm a fan of yours haha just sayin. I've read like 50 different articles in which you swooped in with your advice

Back
Top Bottom