Umm Thank you? I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a really realllllly big leather as a ummmm gift this weekend. It is HUGE and awkward. It is in a U shape so I can't sit it anywhere. The "bottom" (which is the right side top of the U) is attached to a rock. I can't figure out what to do with it. I have no place to put it. It would be beautiful if I could figure out how to deal with it, I'm sure (it is a green tree like leather). Fragging it might be my best option. Then I could attach several stalks to a rock and maybe shape it better? But I'm not sure how I'd go about fragging a leather. Can I cut it anywhere? Or is there a method to the madness? It is probably 12-14" tall and about 6" wide at the base of the branches! What would you do with a U shaped leather?!

Any chance of returning it and delivering a hard, but kind enuf lesson to the (I presume) loving person that gave it to you?

Why can't those that love us seem to understand - Gift Certificates to our favorite LFS. :wink: Don't you dare pick out anything for me! :roll:

I'm sure the giver meant the best, but this may be a chance to prevent this from happening again.

You can cut the coral almost anywhere. These are very hardy corals. Green tree leather corals (is it a colt coral?) take a week or two to attach. I use rubber bands. You could also use bridal veil on small pieces. Cut off enough to make the main part tolerable and frag the rest as you see fit. Use sharp scissors. Keep it in the water if possible. Above all, don't worry. Just start snipping.

austinsdad said:
Any chance of returning it and delivering a hard, but kind enuf lesson to the (I presume) loving person that gave it to you?

The local reef club had our March meeting at my house. It was actually a "frag" left behind by one of the reefers as a gift since my tank is so young. I'm not sure what it was doing in his tank but it has yet to look comfortable in my tank!

Maybe fragging it is the best option. How do you use rubberbands? With tiny Xenia frags I stuck a toothpick through the stalk and rubber banded that to the rock. This thing isn't going to hold on by a toothpick though! I'd need a good sized 2x4, lol! I'd love to cut it off at the base of the stalk before the U and attach the whole magilla to a new rock so it is growing in a predictable direction. Sound feasible? Or should I frag off the major branches and end up with 4 of them or so?

I haven't figured out exactly what it is. I just know it has a hint of green flouresce when the actinics come on. Not vibrant green.

Back
Top Bottom