Undissovled salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pile of unmixed salt at the bottom is definitely a bad thing for livestock!
After you cycle the tank you will want to mix your salt and water outside the tank for a long time to ensure it's completely dissolved, before adding it to the aquarium.

What are using to measure your salinity? If you are using one of those swing arm pieces of junk don't trust what it says. I ditched my after day 2 and got a refractometer. Mine was off by .004 so it said 1.020 and it was really 1.024 so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. They suck imo. Go to your lfs and they will likely check it for free.

Atleast my hydrometer is consistently inaccurate. I just know that 1.030 actually means 1.025

Yeah mine was also I was just saying for trouble shooting purposes most people wouldn't think that they would be off. Just a helpful tip. Get it double checked against your hydrometer

Just mix the salts around with your Powerheads it should dissolve. When you do water changes tho mix your salt for a long while before you add into your tank.

Thanks guys. I currently use a hydrometer, but I was planning on getting a refractometer this weekend anyway.
Will definitely get on to getting that salt dissolved, thanks!

Let us now how it works out. For future tanks what I did to prevent that was had Powerheads and pump circulating the water as I added salt also added it slowly.

I added it slowly, and I had my pump running, and I stirred, but mine is a central pump and I have no power heads, so I'm going to need another way to get it to dissolve or remove it somehow..

It wouldn't hurt to get atleast one power head even if it is a cheap one from walmart or someplace like that and I know petco has them. Just get a $20 one and use that for now. When you replace it with the ones for your tank use it to mix your water for pwc that's what I did and it works fine

Biorb? I don't know what that is. You need flow in the tank. You definitely need to thoroughly mix the salt. A power head for ample flow is absolutely necessary before you add livestock.

I think power heads are to way to go. Then just mix you water for pwc in a 5 gal bucket or something like that depending on the amount you need to mix and use a power head and a heater in there. That should be all you need.

It's going to be very difficult to enjoy this globe style tank. Everything will be a challenge. Where will you put a power head? You can't use a bubbler or you will have a salty mess all over the top of the tank.
I hope it works out for you.

Yes salt creep does get onto the top of the tank, but I can deal with that. I'm just giving it a go, if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. Won't be adding any creatures until its perfect so no harm in trying at the mo!
Thanks.

I have removed the remaining undissolved salt from the bottom of the tank and topped up to the correct water level. Specific gravity is at 1.023 so all good :) thanks for your help guys!

mr_X said:
A pile of unmixed salt at the bottom is definitely a bad thing for livestock!
After you cycle the tank you will want to mix your salt and water outside the tank for a long time to ensure it's completely dissolved, before adding it to the aquarium.

I was just goingto say that. Shouldn't the salt all be dissolved before the water is put into the tank? Otherwise the salinity would be different each water changes until you put the salt in and it dissolve. Did you read the sticky for starting Salt water aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom