Undulated Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbarcomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this trigger for at least a year, he is gorgeous but I have had to move him from tank to tank as he is very aggressive. I just removed him from a 90 gallon tank with a porcupine puffer, a niger trigger and a rectangular trigger and he was in there for a week and he was fine, then this afternoon he went after the puffer. So I moved him to a quarentine tank I have. He is about 4 inches long maybe a bit bigger. He is kind of destructive too, tearing items off the side of the tank and moving rocks and shells. I would appreciate any help.

A 90 ??
Thats nowhere near ideal for triggers, ,let alone an Undy,sorry to be so blunt ..Only advice i can give you is to upgrade or trade him in...They are considered one of the most if not most aggressive and some say they should be alone

when u say trigger fish do mean any type of trigger cause the tank currently has 2 in it now? or do u mean jut the undulate?

Undulated triggers need space to swim that your 90 just isn't providing and this will have an adverse effect on his health and temperament as he gets bigger. I think they look beautiful but they are murderous fish that shouldn't really be trusted with anything else, I personally wouldn't keep the fish but that's just me.

when u say trigger fish do mean any type of trigger cause the tank currently has 2 in it now? or do u mean jut the undulate?
I say any trigger..look at the potential adult sizes they will reach in a few years...none stay under 9-10 inches ...some grow slower than others ,but thats not even the point...They are active ,,they need room at any size..I would not put any trigger ,let alone 2 in anything under a 125 .

You're right in the long run they can grow to a size where a large tank is essential. I would put a clear emphasis on the need for an undulated trigger to have even more room purely because you need to create space for the other fish to swim and retreat, keep out of his way and not get ripped to pieces by him!

im not trying to say ur wrong but when i bought the 2 triggers from the lfs they said that the 2 of them would be fine in the tank along with the other fish for at least a few years and then i would need to upgrade. and also the tank doesnt have a whole lot of live rock to give lots of swimming room for all the fish but still providing cover.....and the undulate trigger is no longer in the tank with them do to bullying.

unfortunately tbar the lfs is completely wrong, i have a picasso trigger and a niger as well in my 125 and they do extremely well. the 90 is simply way too small for an undulated. i have also seen that triggers tend to become destructive and ignorant when in smaller tanks. you will def need a larger tank for when he gets bigger, or a possible re-home:( (id buy him off ya)
in an attempt to rid him of his bad behavior, try taking him out and then completely re-arranging the tank...itll make him feel that hes in a new tank. Dont mean to come across mean, just that the tank size is prob playing a part in this aggressiveness. there are numerous triggers that get 15+ inches in length and need a ton of room for swimming, as you can see they dont stop moving.

Not taking it in a bad way.....I have tried to re introduce him back into the tank on three diffrdbt occaisions and he would do fine in the tank for a week or so and then he just goes after the puffer fish which is three times his size and I just don't want either fish to get hurt in the long run. And really I'm not trying to seek him I just want him to have a food home and live a healthy life. So he's free to anyone who wants him

Back
Top Bottom