Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all the input!

Baldyguy...we are in the US - located in East Texas.

As far as our setup goes, we have a 46g bowfront tank with the following:
-Marineland Multi-State Canister Filter
-We have a sandbed and live rock. (I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow so I can take a picture for you to see it)
-We have a normal light since we don't plan on adding any coral.
-We have a whisper water pump by Tetra.
-Don't have a skimmer yet. Looking at a few but not sure which one is right (Reef Octopus BH 1000, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump, or Tunze Nano DOC 9002) Any suggestions?

I finally got me test kit in to check my water.
pH 8.2
Alkalinity 6
Free Ammonia 0
Total Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50 ( I know that's bad)

So what do I need to lower the nitrate level? Everything else look good?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapage View Post
So what do I need to lower the nitrate level? Everything else look good?
Cut back on feedings, Get a skimmer and Frequent PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You never can really trust a pet store that is making money off you. Thats why this forum is good. Also try to know what you have before going to lfs. With saltwater it hard but patients is very important. Everyone has made similar mistakes and if you stick with it you will learn alot from this experience. Cycle tank, no more fish till you can test water and verify water parameters then research next fish purchase.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
What kind of filter do you have?
So I think this might also be a problem. I have a Marineland Mulit-Stage Canister Filter C-160. I went to get the box and read on it and it says it's only recommended for tanks up to 30 gallons. Seeing as I have a 46 gallon, is it not doing it's job? The guy from the store said it was what we needed! lol
Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, saltwater is not hard, people just don't know what they are doing so they go and buy a bunch of crap and screw it all up do to lack of planning and research.

teapage-I would go with either of the skimmers you have selected. Reef Octopus and Aqua C are almost always recommended on here. As for the filter, your live rock is doing your biological filtration. The butterflys most likely died due to them being VERY delicate and they don't take fluctuations in water parameter to good.

BTW, someone posted "Do not trust a lfs that makes money off of you" or something like that.....ALL LFS's MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOU!
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you add the skimmer you should be good to go. Do research and don't add hard to keep, sensitive fish to a new tank. Clowns, some Gobies, Chomis are good for beginner tanks. Maybe a Convict Tang if you can find one. or a couple of Cardinal fish would look good also.
PS: add them slowly a week or so apart so your biofilter can buildup and handle the new load.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #17

One more question, I was told to check the salinity of my water to do a water change. I didn't know if I neede to add RO water back in or saltwater. I found an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor. Is this what I need or something else?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapage View Post
One more question, I was told to check the salinity of my water to do a water change. I didn't know if I neede to add RO water back in or saltwater. I found an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor. Is this what I need or something else?
Wow..another LFS nightmare.. Just keep it up, read read read this forum and keep asking questions. The people on here have only you and your fish in mind when they give advice...

No need for that expensive Salinity monitor All you need is a hydrometer or a refractometer (preferred).

The hydrometer is just a little tool with a swing arm. You fill it up with tank water, and the arm moves and tells you what the water Salinity is. It's actually the specific Gravity of the water.
Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer

A refracometer does the same thing without the swing arm. It's more accurate and a little more exspensive.
Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer

The posted links are just examples. You can get these types of products ANYWHERE.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah.. the Waterchange part of your question:

Water changes are essential to keeping a healthy system. They are VERY simple to perform.

For a 46G setup.. Just get 2 5gallon pails.

Take 5 gallons of RO water, add Marine Salt until you reach the Gravity needed (1.024 in my case), stick a small powerhead in the pail and let it mix for 24 hours or so. After 24 hours, test the water again to make sure you are ok with the gravity.

Once OK, remove 5 gallons fromt he DT into the other pail, then add the new water.

FYI - you should also keep RO water available (without Salt added) to keep the tank water level. This is called Top-off water and is needed due to evaporation
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two good points here:
1) RO/DI water + Marine salt += partical water cheange
2) RO/DI= refill of system evaporation water. When water evaporates,the salt stays behind so "DO NOT" add salt to this water.
PS: don't waste your money on a hydrometer you will only buy a Refractometer later anyway so buy a refractometer now.

Tags
barb, cycle, protein, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com