Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unknowingly barbaric tankowner!

So, I have a 46g bowfront tank that was set up by the fish store in August. They came and brought the tank, live sand, live rock, saltwater, filtration system and the light. THE "EXPERT' GUY FROM THE FISH STORE SET EVERYTHING UP. HE BROUGHT EVERYTHING WE WOULD NEED. So we thought we were good to go. They told us to wait 30 days before adding any fish to the tank.

So we waited 30 days. At this point the guy told us it was ok to add a couple fish. We bout 2 blue green chromis and 1 reticulated damsel. The reticulated damsel turned out to be a little bastard. He killed 1 of the chromis and later on a percula clownfish - so he had to go! The 1 chromis and damsel seemed to be doing ok so we went back to get more fish. We bought a half back angel, a coral beauty angel, a percula clownfish and a hinneochus butterfly. Mind you, the guy at the fish store told us it was ok to put all these in there. He told us to acclimate them for 45 mintues before putting them in the tank. We did just as he instructed. Our hinneochus was dead the next morning. And the next day, the clownfish was killed by the damsel.

We called the store and they thought the hinneochus might have been sick so they gave us a copperbanded butterfly to replace it. At this time we also bought a yellow tang and a maroon and gold clownfish. The yellow tang and the copperbanded butterfly didn't last thru the weekend. And on momday morning, the half black angel was sick and dying. And today our maroon clownfish was dead. We are down to the coral beauty and the original chromis.

I feel terrible because we didn't know how to properly cycle our tank. We asked and they always said no, it will be fine. I'm aggravated over the money but more so I'm angry over sacrificing these poor fish.

So today, we've bought a water pump to aerate the water. I've looked for a protein skimmer but I don't know which one is ideal for our size tank. Any suggestions? Is there anything else we are missing that needs to be in our tank. We aren't adding any more fish until we know for sure that they are going to survive.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First of all, 46G isnt big enough for most of those fish. I would suggest either letting someone hold the fish or selling them on a local reef forum. Also find a good fish store who are knowledgeable. Do you have a test kit? Adding that many fish at once probably caused an ammonia spike killing the fish.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

First thing you need to do is cycle your tank. If you read our articles section you`ll find the article. Secondly you need to research what fish you can have in a 46 and how much. Third you need to find a new LFS.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

Oh, also, we asked if we need any shrimp, crabs, etc to clean and we were told it was too soon for them. Is this correct or should we have had them all along to help?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The first thing you have to do is cycle the tank before you add fish or anything to the tank. Nothing can be added before or during the cycle or there is a good chance they will die. That`s probably why you are having problems right now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to bntv
The main problem here is obviously that you guys did not cycle the tank and adding all those fishes in at short period is not healthy. Don't always listen the "experts" half of those guys don't even know what they're talking about. Just make sure to do a lot of research next time.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Frustrating isn't it? You listen to someone, spend time and money, life's good and the next day you have fish laying on the bottom.
Stick with it, spend some time researching and just be patient.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CUC is usulally the first thing people add the the aquarium. IMO the best practice on smaller tanks is to only add 1 fish at a time. if you need to add more daily testing and PWC.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

teapage where are you located ie USA,UK etc???????? As all the others have said research it research it research it ...........I was advised to go as big as i can straight away.............cycle your tank (testing regular for your spikes).........then CUC..........then slowly add one at a time. What kind of filtration are you using (they have provided).........? Stick with it when it's going wrong it's a moeny drain and highly frustrating when all is settled and system works well it's a wonderful and rewarding hobby.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good information above.
You need to buy a liquid saltwater test kit to be sure that your tank is cycled.
What kind of filter do you have?
Do you have a sandbed?
Are you using Liverocks?
What kind of lights do you have?
Are you going with a Fish only tank?
Or Fish with liverock?
Reef setup?
Do you have a sump?
Skimmer?
So many questions

Tags
barb, cycle, protein, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com