Update to 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you think so far?

image-3712034114.jpg

All the live rock is in, the guy I got it from even gave me a goby, sea urchin, and some more
snails and hermits...

Looks good Ben! Got some nice little hide-away caves. Overall, how was the rock...not too much algae?

Nah not too much... There's a little hair algae on a couple of the rocks on top, I need to take the rocks out tomorrow and scrub them. They were
loaded with life (brittle stars, worms, etc) and I didn't have a clean brush to clean it off with, so it will have to wait til tomorrow. Didnt wanna leave it out of water overnight. I'm hoping I didn't just commit tank suicide 8-(

Benamayer said:
Nah not too much... There's a little hair algae on a couple of the rocks on top, I need to take the rocks out tomorrow and scrub them. They were
loaded with life (brittle stars, worms, etc) and I didn't have a clean brush to clean it off with, so it will have to wait til tomorrow. Didnt wanna leave it out of water overnight. I'm hoping I didn't just commit tank suicide 8-(

No, you should be fine. I just wouldn't wait too long to get it off of there, tomorrow...you'll be good.

Do you think the tank looks a bit overcrowded with rock? I don't want to completely kill my ability to put some fish in there space wise...?

Imo it looks a lil on the heavy side but I don't think you need to remove any just rescape and try stacking higher.. I like to keep an uneven look to the height across the tank with a valley or 2 to provide a lil less man made look

And keep in mind its good to leave about a 2 inch gap between the glass and rocks for floor flow and access with your mag float and such

Here's an example at 1.5 lbs per gallon I've got 2 different height peaks an arch and a cove/valley with plenty of caves in the scaping

Ok! Now I'm pumped about it! Only had 1 piece leftover... Thoughts now?

image-1268615293.jpg

Looks great man!! I've always liked the big chasm look, I think it adds a lot of depth to the tank. Nice work! It's really a trial and error kinda thing, till you like it.

Flreefer said:
Looks great man!! I've always liked the big chasm look, I think it adds a lot of depth to the tank. Nice work! It's really a trial and error kinda thing, till you like it.

Thanks dude.. I scrubbed all that hair algae off and figured I'd rearrange some things while I was at it...

Now I need to figure out the power head placement... I might need to add a 3rd 8-( I have a dead spot on the left side of the tank

Oh and also, I made sure there was plenty of room on all sides to give plenty of room for the fish to swim around!

Ya Im using 3 powerheads and my return that split to two heads to keep from having any dead spots that I can see

How much return will the protein skimmer add if any at all.. I have a reef octopus bh1000 on order should be here in a couple days...

Check to see the size pump that is used on it and there is a gph which is say after skimming the out put will prob be halved or so could be wrong though

Back
Top Bottom