upgrading from 55 to 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bapieniazek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What do ya'll think. Would it be worth my time to upgrade from a 55g to a 75g? It will be FOWLR

thanks

I think that it could be a good ides, especially if you want to have bigger fish. If you are planning to only have small fish then it may not be that worth it. And if you do decide to up grade, i might go just a little bigger than 75

Depends on the dimmension differences, but as far as water volume goes...not really. What are the dimmensions of the two tanks?

I like my 75 so much better than the 55. The extra depth makes a big difference in freshwater, and I imagine even moreso with salt. I'd absolutely do it.

Bigger is better. We can all agree with that but it really isnt going to be much more. I went from a 55 to a 125. Big difference there. JMO

Yah I was thinking the 75 because I found one w/ stand for $75. But I just bought a 135 w/ stand for $150. It's a lot bigger!

Good move!! I wish I had started bigger. I have a 72 gal I wish I would have gone with a 125 at least.

another question...

I will be using the old water in my 55g to put in the new tank, and of course I wil have to add more. But will the 50 or so gallons be enough, as not so don't need to cycle any extra. Or do I need to cycle some more water along with the already 50 cycled gallons?

The water doesnt cycle, the bacteria don't live in the water column. If you're transferring everything over to the new tank, your substrate, rocks, filter, etc have all the bacteria. If you do a complete transfer, keeping everything wet in the process, you'll be fine.

awesome thanks everybody. I'll update ya'll when I start in a couple days.

appreciate the help!
Brian

The water doesnt cycle, the bacteria don't live in the water column. If you're transferring everything over to the new tank, your substrate, rocks, filter, etc have all the bacteria. If you do a complete transfer, keeping everything wet in the process, you'll be fine.

I totally agree. As long as you dont lose the bacteria from your filters and rocks you`ll be good to go. My only suggestion is that you use new sand or really do a extra special cleaning of the sand that you have because there will some foul stuff in there. When I changed over I used new sand and seeded it with a cup or two of sand from my tank.

Back
Top Bottom