Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

upgrading tank! Help me out ASAP on the transfer please!!!

Okay I have a 46 bowfront FOWLR with about 50 pounds of live rock and a good amount of live sand. My system has been running for about 5 months so I want to use the same sand. I need to transfer everything over to my 75 tonight. Should I just add all my water and live rock over, rinse the sand in RO then add that and my live rock n then top it off with RO that I have mixed? I will be adding more DRY sand in a few days to avoid having a mini cycle from adding more LIVE sand. I have a banded shrimp, 2 clowns, and a diamond goby. What do ya guys think!? Will everything be alright!? I need to do this ASAP so please help! Thank you!!***

Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a good plan, but there is never a guarenas. So many different parameters (e.g., fish health, water quality, etc.) go into play with a transfer. That being said, I did something similar moving from a 40 to a 70. No loss whatsoever with my FOWLR. Did have a mini cycle though, but the established rock/sand kept it in check and was over quickly. Good luck and hope all goes well!!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
Sounds like a good plan, but there is never a guarenas. So many different parameters (e.g., fish health, water quality, etc.) go into play with a transfer. That being said, I did something similar moving from a 40 to a 70. No loss whatsoever with my FOWLR. Did have a mini cycle though, but the established rock/sand kept it in check and was over quickly. Good luck and hope all goes well!!

Everything went well! Took like 4 hours but looks much better, everything still alive so far! Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glad to hear it!

When I did mine, I bought new sand and I vacuumed up the top of my old live sand. Got rid of all the crap (literately . I had 60 pounds and vacuumed about 10 pound out of the old tank. I than used the remaining 50 pounds in my new tank without rinsing. I put it on top of the new sand (Which was not live), and now I got a 2 to 3in sand bed that for the most part is live. No issue's with gases or nitrates.

My transfer took me a good 4 hours as well. It was so worth moving from a 29 gallon to a 55 gallon. I also found some new tank mates along the way (Bristle Worms), I threw one HUGE one down the toilet. The darn thing was massive!! hahah, my friend helping me almost garbed it with his hands to throw away.

So glad everything is working out for you! I have my new tank little over a month now, and things are great. I just added the last three of my fish. I have a total of 7 fish. They seem to be doing fine, but it's only been two days. A little chasing going on it seems.

Tags
tan, tank, transfer, upgrading, upgrading tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com