Upgrading wet/dry system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to ditch my existing wet/dry filter with a newer one without going through a second cycle or losing fish? I think my wet/dry I've had on there is just to small rating. I would like to get one of those new marineland systems possibly. What are my options?

I do have about 130 pounds of live rock in there.

Steve

Why do you want a wet/dry filter. I would spend that money on a good protein skimmer if you don't have one or a better one if you do.

I agree. With that much LR in your tank you already have great biological filtration. If anything remove the media from the wet dry and replace with LR rubble or as TC said a skimmer would be great.

Actually I already have a great protein skimmer, in fact I just bought it a week ago and you wouldn't believe the nasty brown stuff it's produced! I just thought you have to have a wet/dry filter, but you're saying because I have live rock and a protein skimmer I really don't even need a wet/dry? Does that mean I should just pull off my existing wet/dry?

Btw the skimmer I have is that new marineland skimmer, it's so awesome! It takes up so little space :D

Steve

If you have enough LR and a good skimmer you really dont need a wet dry. I would think about as I mentioned earlier removing the media and replacing with LR rubble or make a refugium out of the wet dry.

As in anything saltwater, do the removal slowly in stages over a few days as to not shock the system with to much nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom