urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what type of urchin is it, and do you have a picture? I have a couple different kinds amongst my tanks. I still have a lot of coralline algae. I just have them for the fun of watching them more than anything else, can't say that eat a heck of a lot of bag algae.

I just turned in a pencil and black spine urchin to the lfs for credit they would eat everything on my live rock that was in there path as far as algae goes but once I noticed them going to town on my main rock that I use to seed my tank with coraline algae it was time for them to find a new home I got 15 bucks credit for both of them they are really cool watch

I have a pencil, no noticable issues with it eating stuff I wanted. I did return the black spine (again no LR issues) but he just got HUGE really quick. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. Not sure how quickly they were eating people's coralline, but I kind of doubt it was overnight.

It looks like a pencil urchin ^^. I love my pincushion urchins they eat all forms of algae and don't bother my corals. I have never owned a pencil urchin so I don't know if they will attack your corals. One thing common to all urchins is that they are eating machines. They will literally eat all the algae in your tank. If there is not much algae in your tank just give it some nori everyday to stack on. My pincushion urchins love to carry lose rocks, snails and crabs on their back. I would make sure he is not bothering any of its tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom