urchin on live rock pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goinpostal

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok with the live rock that came today i got this spiney thing
urchin i presume real dark purple like almost black
i read that some will eat fish and such

any info should i try to get it out
didn't come off with dip and didn't see it til it was in the tank

I'm still new at this but I've got 3 in my 30 gal tank. I think they are beautiful and they have not seemed to be aggresive at all. It is unbelievable how fast they grow! The owner of my lfs said they would damage coral but I have fish only with live rock.

Boy, I had to buy an urchin! They are great at algae removal. I love mine! He has not touched my corals.

Oh yea, one more thing.....make sure you know where they are at before cleaning your tank. I've heard you don't want to be stuck by it!

I've never heard of them hurting fish. iknow they are very clumsy and will knock over stuff when they get bigger. but i agree with bizzy they are awesome algea removers!!!!!!

mark

Certain types of urchins love to eat coraline algae, almost by the pound it seems. Perhaps someone can ID that specific urchin for you.

Looks like some type of Diadema Urchin to me. Should be harmless except to algae (including coralline). IMO they help spread coralline around if you have a good base to start with.

Perhaps someone can ID that specific urchin for you.
Appears to be a Red Rock Urchin Echinometra lucunter Depending on where you got your LR. Red Rocks are commonly found in the caribbean and Southeaster U.S. in warm tropical waters. They will stay on or near you LR at all times and feast on any plant material in your tank (mainly algae) including coralline. They will almost always have some red on their body (which you state yours does) juveniles (like in your pick) are usually almost all black with hints of red. Juvenile Red Rocks are commonly confused with juvenile Long Spined Black Urchins Diadema antillarum which is venomous. Juveniles of Diadema can also be a pupleish black but will lack any red hints. Color is hard to determine from your pic can you post another maybe? Have you touched the urchin already? If it was Diadema your hand would be in severe pain from its venom.

HTH,
Andrew

Oh yea, one more thing.....make sure you know where they are at before cleaning your tank. I've heard you don't want to be stuck by it!

I have moved mine by hand lots of times, the spines are not terribly sharp. You would have to be moving fairly fast to get pricked....

I have moved mine by hand lots of times, the spines are not terribly sharp. You would have to be moving fairly fast to get pricked....
Unless it is infact the Diadema sp. Diadema spines are incrdibly sharp and will penetrate skin with ease releasing the toxin. BTW the toxin is not deadly it is just extremley uncomfortable, the contact area will feel like it is on fire and itch for a few hours to as long as a day. :x A quick way to ease the pain is to sprinkle lots of meat tenderizer or pee on the contact point. :roll: MOST urchins can be moved safely and with ease as long as you know it is not harmful.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom