Urgent help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys,
I need some urgent help to know what to do. First my tank info

45 gallon FOLR with 50 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand.
2 clownfish
4 chromis
1 gold headed iamond goby.
peppermint shrimp
snails
crabs

tank is little over 2 months.

Just today I lost one of my clownfish for no apparent reason. Just found him floating in the water. It was one of my first inhabitant and the pair was very happy and active till a few days ago. Also my gold headed diamond goby has all sort of whitish stuff on her body. Still alive but sitting in a corner.

I checked my water params.

temp 75.6
salinity 1.024
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0 Nitrate <10

The only thing I have done this week was to raise my ph from 8.0 to 8.2 to bring it inline with my usual parameters. I did it by a little every day for 4 days.

Other than that I did add a biochem pouch form API in my API filstar canister.

Any idea what I might have done to cause this?
Also what shall I do to my still alive (barely) diamond goby?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you

Sky

I'm not very familiar with saltwater tanks, but if you can quarantine the goby without stressing it out too much, you should definitely do that.

Is the white stuff spots or what? It could be ich or marine velvet. With marine velvet once you see it on the body it is usually too late. Can you get some pictures so someone can help identify it? Good luck with this, i know the helpless feeling when your fish are sick and dieing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the white stuff spots or what? It could be ich or marine velvet. With marine velvet once you see it on the body it is usually too late. Can you get some pictures so someone can help identify it? Good luck with this, i know the helpless feeling when your fish are sick and dieing.

MY goby is hiding under the rocks so very hard to take any pictures. The few moments it came out, it looks like the slime coat on its body is less and the skin looks a little brittle. Could be marine velvet.

Yeah, it sadly sounds like velvet. I lost a tank a few years ago due to that. And anther small tank that most likely had it as well. It is fast acting and almost always fatal. I lost most of my fish in my 125g in about 3 days total. I did however have some survivors. A yellow tang and a pink spotted goby all made it through the velvet and I still actually have the goby.
I did not do anything at all, I just let nature take its course. After it seemed to be done killing my fish I waited about 3 months before adding another fish. I did not have any issues in that tank since.
Good luck, I hope I am wrong and everything works out with the goby. Fingers crossed. ***

I lost a yellow tang and coral beauty angel to velvet. The rest of my fish promptly got a copper treatment. Sadly, this is what it sounds like in your case.

well, sad news. I lost my goby yesterday and also my pair of clowns. I managed to take one out in a QT but it did not survive. I later took the dead fish to my LFS to see if he could explain but according to my LFS the fish does not look to have anything on its skin.

So that is a mystery. Anyway, now I have to wait a while before I add anything else.

:(:(:(:(:(

well, sad news. I lost my goby yesterday and also my pair of clowns. I managed to take one out in a QT but it did not survive. I later took the dead fish to my LFS to see if he could explain but according to my LFS the fish does not look to have anything on its skin.

So that is a mystery. Anyway, now I have to wait a while before I add anything else.

:(:(:(:(:(

That sucks. I'm sorry :(

I believe with marine velvet the only way to diagnose it to snip a piece of gill and look at it under a microscope. I don't know of any lfs that would even consider doing this.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could it be overstocked? 7 fish in two months is a lot?

I agree with adamski

Back
Top Bottom