URGENT: New Filter on Esatblished tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I currently have a 40 gallon long tank with around 50-60 pounds of live rock. I have around 2000 gph of flow, and a protein skimmer. I was looking to add a HOB filter because it can catch bigger debris that is going around the tank. I was wondering if I could put it on or do I have to establish it somehow? Could someone help me?

If a HOB is the way you want to go, you will just have to find one that will match your tank. That is it, no need to cycle the media at all. Just make sure that it doesn't have splash around and cause salt creep.

If a HOB is the way you want to go, you will just have to find one that will match your tank. That is it, no need to cycle the media at all. Just make sure that it doesn't have splash around and cause salt creep.
So I can just literally go to the store, buy a aquaclear 50, assemble it, and plop it on my tank and ill be alright?

There isn't any reason why you can't. It won't hurt anything at all, besides the possible salt creep that I already mentioned. When I ran a HOB filter I had awful issues with it.

There isn't any reason why you can't. It won't hurt anything at all, besides the possible salt creep that I already mentioned. When I ran a HOB filter I had awful issues with it.
What's salt creep?

Splashing and movement in the water. It lands on everything around and the water evaporates, the salt doesn't. So, it will leave a path of salt behind. This can rust equipment and if it falls back into the water can burn the gills of fish.

Back
Top Bottom