Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you familiar with the Amiracle Quad II Protein Skimmer? Which model Maxi Jet would I need for that?

Old 03-18-2003, 12:42 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Amiracle Quad II Protein Skimmer?
No, but everything I've heard about Amiracle skimmers is It's a miracle if you get it to skim. I did a google search for that particular skimmer and came up empty. You might try contacting Amiracle through their website www.amiracle.com and email them and see what they recommend. My guess is they will recommend a Rio 2500 which would translate to a Magdrive 7.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...if your talking bad about Amiracle P/S's... then why would i get one? What's a good skimmer for a 90gal setup? (please include the pump reccomendation as well) Thanks...
Old 03-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I use a Berlin Classic and a Mag 7 pump. Works very good but is a little pricey. About $200 for the pump and skimmer.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:54 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have run a Berlin on a Mag 5 and it did great. I would guess it would work even better on a Mag 7. The newer Berlin Turbos are supposed to be even better, but I haven't had any experience with them. Any really good skimmer is going to cost you. You can get it in either a sump or hang on model. Although I have never used one, I have heard good things about the Remora skimmer. Perhaps someone else here can comment on them.
Logan J
Old 03-19-2003, 01:03 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I wouldn't get a Berlin Turbo over a Classic. The Turbo doesn't use a venturi, it utilizes cavitation in the pump to break up the air. That can lead to impeller fatigue. I have heard of these pump's impellers self destructing after a while. Whereas a Classic uses a venturi and any pump you want to use (it does kick butt with a Mag 7).
I've also heard good stuff about Remora but have never seen one in use.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:58 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Well...if your talking bad about Amiracle P/S's... then why would i get one?
Actually I'm not. Others have and I'm passing it on. As to why you would get one.........I thought you already had one. A berlin is a good skimmer for a 90 gallon, I would also recommend the Turbofloator (I've not heard the bad things Mark has). There are plenty of other models as well, depending on how much money you want to spend.

Quote:
(it does kick butt with a Mag 7).
You should see what they do with a Mag 9.5

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I have a brand new Mag7 waiting to go in the sump. The Rio is starting to get a little noisy, vibration noise really. It took a minute on a restart yesterday too.
I'll take it out to clean it and see it that makes a difference. This is the pump that's been in there since day 1. Probably all that Southdown flowing through it till the tank cycled has caused the problem. Even if that's all it is i'll probably put it on the shelf as my backup/water changer pump and put the Mag in as my primary pump.

Just got the Turboflotor 1000 Multi. I hope to get it hooked up today. I'll post a first impression after it's set up.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Good deal! I'll be interested to hear how the Turboflotor does. I have heard both good and bad about this skimmer.
Mark,
Do you have any idea how long it takes for the impeller to begin showing signs of deterioration? This is the first time I have heard this. It makes sense though. One reason I'm asking is that I set up a skimmer for one of the tanks at the store using a Mag 3.5 and a venturi. The skimmer is of unknown origin...something a salesman left there for us a long time ago. The Mag 3.5 is too much for it with the venturi on the pressure side so I put it on the suction side. That allows me to cut the flow by adding a little more air and, strangely enough, eliminated the micro bubbles that the skimmer was producing. Maybe I need to redo the setup with a valve on the pressure side and put the venturi back there?
Logan J
Old 03-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. Anyone know the best place to buy the Berlin Classic and Mag7?

Tags
carbon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com