Use carbon in FOwLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another newbie question.
I wouldn't run a FW tank with out GAC, do I need it in a SW setup?

Should I add carbon to my trickle filter?
Just add a bag (3-4 oz) and place it under the first pad?

TIA,
Cmor

125 gal FOwLR (2/15/03)
100 lbs aragonite
Acqua Clear Aquatics 125 trickle filter with bio balls
2 Hagen 802 powerheads
4 - 30w flourescents (FW30T8-AR-TS)
Rio 2500 pump in sump
300w heater in the sump.
25w Coralife UV sterilizer (connected but not in use)
50 lbs of base rock (Carib Sea Reef Rock 2/21/03)
50 lbs of LR (Tonga 2/21/03)
45 Lbs. LR (Aquacultured Fiji - coming Tuesday)

With 150# of rock and 100# of sand you don't need the filter pad or the biomedia in the trickle filter. Remove the bioballs and the trays and convert your trickle filter into a sump. That way your skimmer and equipment will all fit.

I add carbon Bi-monthly for a week only then remove it both in my SW & FW tanks. Carbon helps remove many of items not wanted & to remove medication after treatment in your tank but it also removes items needed in the tanks. Both SW & FW (plant tanks) need some of the trace elements removed by the carbon.

As for Rio pumps :snipersmile: :2gunfire: :uzi: :zook: :gangsta: :censor: :rocket: you get the point :D

and suggestions for replacing the Rio would be...?

I need to order the last few items :wink: for this setup and may as well have a new pump on standby while I'm at it.

Thanks.

I use Hagen Aquaclear power heads for my Tank & UV sterilizer.
For return from my sump I use Little Giant.
I havent had any problems with either of them.
But thats my prefrence im sure there are others who use different PH & pumps. But Rio is disliked by the majority from what I read.

Magdrive pumps are a good replacement for Rio. Mag7 is about 700gph. Find out what gpm your Rio is and match it up with the same size mag pump.

So you guys wouldn't even use a RIO for a protein skimmer?

If I had one on hand or if the skimmer came equipped with one, I would use it until it failed or became too noisy then I would replace it with a comparably sized maxijet powerhead. If it were an in sump model or a skimmer using a larger water pump, I would use it until it failed and then I would replace it with a comparably sized magdrive pump.

Are you familiar with the Amiracle Quad II Protein Skimmer?

No, but everything I've heard about Amiracle skimmers is It's a miracle if you get it to skim. I did a google search for that particular skimmer and came up empty. You might try contacting Amiracle through their website www.amiracle.com and email them and see what they recommend. My guess is they will recommend a Rio 2500 which would translate to a Magdrive 7.

Well...if your talking bad about Amiracle P/S's... then why would i get one? What's a good skimmer for a 90gal setup? (please include the pump reccomendation as well) Thanks...

I have run a Berlin on a Mag 5 and it did great. I would guess it would work even better on a Mag 7. The newer Berlin Turbos are supposed to be even better, but I haven't had any experience with them. Any really good skimmer is going to cost you. You can get it in either a sump or hang on model. Although I have never used one, I have heard good things about the Remora skimmer. Perhaps someone else here can comment on them.
Logan J

I wouldn't get a Berlin Turbo over a Classic. The Turbo doesn't use a venturi, it utilizes cavitation in the pump to break up the air. That can lead to impeller fatigue. I have heard of these pump's impellers self destructing after a while. Whereas a Classic uses a venturi and any pump you want to use (it does kick butt with a Mag 7).
I've also heard good stuff about Remora but have never seen one in use.

Well...if your talking bad about Amiracle P/S's... then why would i get one?

Actually I'm not. Others have and I'm passing it on. As to why you would get one.........I thought you already had one. A berlin is a good skimmer for a 90 gallon, I would also recommend the Turbofloator (I've not heard the bad things Mark has). There are plenty of other models as well, depending on how much money you want to spend.

(it does kick butt with a Mag 7).

You should see what they do with a Mag 9.5
sport33.gif

I have a brand new Mag7 waiting to go in the sump. The Rio is starting to get a little noisy, vibration noise really. It took a minute on a restart yesterday too.
I'll take it out to clean it and see it that makes a difference. This is the pump that's been in there since day 1. Probably all that Southdown flowing through it till the tank cycled has caused the problem. Even if that's all it is i'll probably put it on the shelf as my backup/water changer pump and put the Mag in as my primary pump.

Just got the Turboflotor 1000 Multi. I hope to get it hooked up today. I'll post a first impression after it's set up.

Good deal! I'll be interested to hear how the Turboflotor does. I have heard both good and bad about this skimmer.
Mark,
Do you have any idea how long it takes for the impeller to begin showing signs of deterioration? This is the first time I have heard this. It makes sense though. One reason I'm asking is that I set up a skimmer for one of the tanks at the store using a Mag 3.5 and a venturi. The skimmer is of unknown origin...something a salesman left there for us a long time ago. The Mag 3.5 is too much for it with the venturi on the pressure side so I put it on the suction side. That allows me to cut the flow by adding a little more air and, strangely enough, eliminated the micro bubbles that the skimmer was producing. Maybe I need to redo the setup with a valve on the pressure side and put the venturi back there?
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom