Used bio balls prevent cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyH2O

Aquarium Advice Regular
I took over my brother-n-laws 75 gallon fresh water tank. I currently have it set up as a fish only saltwater tank. I am using his canister filter that contains the original bio balls that he used. I hand washed them in hot water. My tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now with no signs of cycling as I (newbie) can tell. Ammonia 0 - .25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0 - 2, PH 7.8 Can using previously used bio balls prevent from new tank cycling or am I being too impatient or is it cycling. I was expecting to see a larger spike in Ammonia followed by Nitrites then Nitrates. Please shed some light on this situation. Thanks

Normally Bioballs are good to seed the new tank with bacteria, but seeing as you washed them in hot water (I assume from the tap), you would have killed all the bacteria in the bioballs due to the chlorine in the water. The bioballs may have experienced some die off and added to your nitrates.

Also on that note, freshwater good bactieria is different to the good bacteria found in saltwater tanks.

Based on the parameters above, your cycle is underway but may stall if you have no ammonia source (dead raw shrimp).

I have had a few damsels in there for a 2 weeks now. Also want to note that I have well water so no chlorine when I cleaned the bio balls.

Back
Top Bottom