Used Freshwater Rock for Saltwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry its been a few days. I know the whole tank wont re-cycle, but I know that if you add too many fish at once it could cause a mini cycle resulting in an ammomia spike. I didn't know if this was the same for live rock.. Thanks for clarifying, I think ill be ordering 10-20 lbs within the next week or so.

Sorry its been a few days. I know the whole tank wont re-cycle, but I know that if you add too many fish at once it could cause a mini cycle resulting in an ammomia spike. I didn't know if this was the same for live rock.. Thanks for clarifying, I think ill be ordering 10-20 lbs within the next week or so.

Thats why we are all here. To help, learn, and expand our knowledge. I use to add 2-3 at a time when I got mine. The more rock the less the mini cycle will happen.

Exactly, and I've definitely learned a lot since I joined. When you say you added 2-3 at a time do you mean 2-3 rocks or 2-3 lbs? And are you saying to start with less then 20 lbs? I was thinking if I started with 20, when I add more, Id only add about 5 lbs or so, so I don't overload the bb already in the tank. Does that make sense? Or...

If you buy uncured live rock, it will have die-off , producing ammonia, which will cause a mini cycle, so you need to be careful. Buying fully cured live rock will not harm your tank.

Exactly, and I've definitely learned a lot since I joined. When you say you added 2-3 at a time do you mean 2-3 rocks or 2-3 lbs? And are you saying to start with less then 20 lbs? I was thinking if I started with 20, when I add more, Id only add about 5 lbs or so, so I don't overload the bb already in the tank. Does that make sense? Or...

2-3 rocks equalling 18+ lbs... and when your rock is up there then you can add 2-3 fish at a time

If you buy uncured live rock, it will have die-off , producing ammonia, which will cause a mini cycle, so you need to be careful. Buying fully cured live rock will not harm your tank.

You can cure your LR by letting it sit in the sun for a week or so and let hitch hikers die off... buy 10lbs of live rock cured and 20lbs dry rock... your dry rock will turn into live rock... dry rock is also cheaper

If you stick your rock in the sun to let it die off, it will no longer be live rock. Best thing to do would be to put your rock in a large container of water (plastic tub or bucket) and run a powerhead in there for a week or two to let it cure. Then it should be good to go to add to the tank.

2-3 rocks equalling 18+ lbs... and when your rock is up there then you can add 2-3 fish at a time

You can cure your LR by letting it sit in the sun for a week or so and let hitch hikers die off... buy 10lbs of live rock cured and 20lbs dry rock... your dry rock will turn into live rock... dry rock is also cheaper

If you stick your rock in the sun to let it die off, it will no longer be live rock. Best thing to do would be to put your rock in a large container of water (plastic tub or bucket) and run a powerhead in there for a week or two to let it cure. Then it should be good to go to add to the tank.

Ok cool. I've been looking at BRS dry reef saver rock. Its affordable and I like the way it looks. Ill probably get 20lbs of this stuff in about a week and seed it with some cured live rock. Can I buy already cured live rock from my lfs or will I have to cure it myself?

Ok cool. I've been looking at BRS dry reef saver rock. Its affordable and I like the way it looks. Ill probably get 20lbs of this stuff in about a week and seed it with some cured live rock. Can I buy already cured live rock from my lfs or will I have to cure it myself?

You can cure it your self or get it. But if your just throwing it in before the cycle then you can add uncured w.o a prob... once the tank cycles you can only add cured live rock or dry rock. To cure the rock yourself set up a small tub with sw, lights, and something to move the water around. Let it sit for atleast 4 weeks in the tub.

Is the cured rock the same price as the uncured rock? If so, ill just get already cured live rock. Wont be as much of a hassle trying to cure it myself.. My tank IS already cycled. I did a raw food cycle and when parameters were all in check (I had my lfs test the water) I added some damsels so I DONT want to just throw in some live rock with the damsels already In the tank..

Cured is usually more expensive since the store went to the trouble of curing it.

Is the cured rock the same price as the uncured rock? If so, ill just get already cured live rock. Wont be as much of a hassle trying to cure it myself.. My tank IS already cycled. I did a raw food cycle and when parameters were all in check (I had my lfs test the water) I added some damsels so I DONT want to just throw in some live rock with the damsels already In the tank..

Most fish stores only sell cured or they sell it as cured and its not. Damsels may be a problem later down the road depending on stocking options.

Most fish stores only sell cured or they sell it as cured and its not. Damsels may be a problem later down the road depending on stocking options.

At my lfs they have the live rock outside the store, in the back, in a giant concrete planter looking thing filled with water and the water is moving so im guessing they are selling it cured? Thanks for the tip, I got them because my lfs suggested them for a beginner saltwater aquarium. I am fully aware of how aggressive they can be towards other fish and I don't plan on adding anything else until I get them out..

At my lfs they have the live rock outside the store, in the back, in a giant concrete planter looking thing filled with water and the water is moving so im guessing they are selling it cured? Thanks for the tip, I got them because my lfs suggested them for a beginner saltwater aquarium. I am fully aware of how aggressive they can be towards other fish and I don't plan on adding anything else until I get them out..

Catch them before you start aquascaping. If not then you will most likely have to take all your rocks out to catch them. Also if you dip your live rock in fresh water for about 30 seconds to a minute it will kill most bristleworms. Pick them off with tweezers so you dont get any bristles in your hand. Even though the worms are good for your tank if they get to big then they will eat fish and corals. Also ask them how long the rock has been sitting in there. The longer the better.

Catch them before you start aquascaping. If not then you will most likely have to take all your rocks out to catch them. Also if you dip your live rock in fresh water for about 30 seconds to a minute it will kill most bristleworms. Pick them off with tweezers so you dont get any bristles in your hand. Even though the worms are good for your tank if they get to big then they will eat fish and corals. Also ask them how long the rock has been sitting in there. The longer the better.

That's what I was thinking. I know these guys are famous for "disappearing" when trying to net them out. I've seen videos on youtube of man-made traps made out of a 2 liter bottle but it still takes a while to actually trap them. I have 5 in my tank right now - 2 yellow tails and three, 4 striped damsels. I put 2 big fake decorations in the tank to provide hiding spaces for them since i dont have any rock yet. Ill just take those out and it should be pretty easy haha

I started the same way. Just a few rocks at a time and its over a year later and everything is fine. And about the damsels it is very true you can't catch them after you have a larger amount of rocks. I can't catch them at all. I have 4 I want out but they hide inside my rocks. They are a pain!!!

Back
Top Bottom