Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry its been a few days. I know the whole tank wont re-cycle, but I know that if you add too many fish at once it could cause a mini cycle resulting in an ammomia spike. I didn't know if this was the same for live rock.. Thanks for clarifying, I think ill be ordering 10-20 lbs within the next week or so.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FishMan View Post
Sorry its been a few days. I know the whole tank wont re-cycle, but I know that if you add too many fish at once it could cause a mini cycle resulting in an ammomia spike. I didn't know if this was the same for live rock.. Thanks for clarifying, I think ill be ordering 10-20 lbs within the next week or so.
Thats why we are all here. To help, learn, and expand our knowledge. I use to add 2-3 at a time when I got mine. The more rock the less the mini cycle will happen.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exactly, and I've definitely learned a lot since I joined. When you say you added 2-3 at a time do you mean 2-3 rocks or 2-3 lbs? And are you saying to start with less then 20 lbs? I was thinking if I started with 20, when I add more, Id only add about 5 lbs or so, so I don't overload the bb already in the tank. Does that make sense? Or...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you buy uncured live rock, it will have die-off , producing ammonia, which will cause a mini cycle, so you need to be careful. Buying fully cured live rock will not harm your tank.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Exactly, and I've definitely learned a lot since I joined. When you say you added 2-3 at a time do you mean 2-3 rocks or 2-3 lbs? And are you saying to start with less then 20 lbs? I was thinking if I started with 20, when I add more, Id only add about 5 lbs or so, so I don't overload the bb already in the tank. Does that make sense? Or...
2-3 rocks equalling 18+ lbs... and when your rock is up there then you can add 2-3 fish at a time
Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
If you buy uncured live rock, it will have die-off , producing ammonia, which will cause a mini cycle, so you need to be careful. Buying fully cured live rock will not harm your tank.
You can cure your LR by letting it sit in the sun for a week or so and let hitch hikers die off... buy 10lbs of live rock cured and 20lbs dry rock... your dry rock will turn into live rock... dry rock is also cheaper
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you stick your rock in the sun to let it die off, it will no longer be live rock. Best thing to do would be to put your rock in a large container of water (plastic tub or bucket) and run a powerhead in there for a week or two to let it cure. Then it should be good to go to add to the tank.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_again View Post

2-3 rocks equalling 18+ lbs... and when your rock is up there then you can add 2-3 fish at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_again View Post

You can cure your LR by letting it sit in the sun for a week or so and let hitch hikers die off... buy 10lbs of live rock cured and 20lbs dry rock... your dry rock will turn into live rock... dry rock is also cheaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
If you stick your rock in the sun to let it die off, it will no longer be live rock. Best thing to do would be to put your rock in a large container of water (plastic tub or bucket) and run a powerhead in there for a week or two to let it cure. Then it should be good to go to add to the tank.
Ok cool. I've been looking at BRS dry reef saver rock. Its affordable and I like the way it looks. Ill probably get 20lbs of this stuff in about a week and seed it with some cured live rock. Can I buy already cured live rock from my lfs or will I have to cure it myself?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #29

Quote:

Ok cool. I've been looking at BRS dry reef saver rock. Its affordable and I like the way it looks. Ill probably get 20lbs of this stuff in about a week and seed it with some cured live rock. Can I buy already cured live rock from my lfs or will I have to cure it myself?
You can cure it your self or get it. But if your just throwing it in before the cycle then you can add uncured w.o a prob... once the tank cycles you can only add cured live rock or dry rock. To cure the rock yourself set up a small tub with sw, lights, and something to move the water around. Let it sit for atleast 4 weeks in the tub.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the cured rock the same price as the uncured rock? If so, ill just get already cured live rock. Wont be as much of a hassle trying to cure it myself.. My tank IS already cycled. I did a raw food cycle and when parameters were all in check (I had my lfs test the water) I added some damsels so I DONT want to just throw in some live rock with the damsels already In the tank..

Tags
freshwater, rock, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com