Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cured is usually more expensive since the store went to the trouble of curing it.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FishMan View Post
Is the cured rock the same price as the uncured rock? If so, ill just get already cured live rock. Wont be as much of a hassle trying to cure it myself.. My tank IS already cycled. I did a raw food cycle and when parameters were all in check (I had my lfs test the water) I added some damsels so I DONT want to just throw in some live rock with the damsels already In the tank..
Most fish stores only sell cured or they sell it as cured and its not. Damsels may be a problem later down the road depending on stocking options.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_again View Post

Most fish stores only sell cured or they sell it as cured and its not. Damsels may be a problem later down the road depending on stocking options.
At my lfs they have the live rock outside the store, in the back, in a giant concrete planter looking thing filled with water and the water is moving so im guessing they are selling it cured? Thanks for the tip, I got them because my lfs suggested them for a beginner saltwater aquarium. I am fully aware of how aggressive they can be towards other fish and I don't plan on adding anything else until I get them out..
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FishMan View Post

At my lfs they have the live rock outside the store, in the back, in a giant concrete planter looking thing filled with water and the water is moving so im guessing they are selling it cured? Thanks for the tip, I got them because my lfs suggested them for a beginner saltwater aquarium. I am fully aware of how aggressive they can be towards other fish and I don't plan on adding anything else until I get them out..
Catch them before you start aquascaping. If not then you will most likely have to take all your rocks out to catch them. Also if you dip your live rock in fresh water for about 30 seconds to a minute it will kill most bristleworms. Pick them off with tweezers so you dont get any bristles in your hand. Even though the worms are good for your tank if they get to big then they will eat fish and corals. Also ask them how long the rock has been sitting in there. The longer the better.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_again View Post

Catch them before you start aquascaping. If not then you will most likely have to take all your rocks out to catch them. Also if you dip your live rock in fresh water for about 30 seconds to a minute it will kill most bristleworms. Pick them off with tweezers so you dont get any bristles in your hand. Even though the worms are good for your tank if they get to big then they will eat fish and corals. Also ask them how long the rock has been sitting in there. The longer the better.
That's what I was thinking. I know these guys are famous for "disappearing" when trying to net them out. I've seen videos on youtube of man-made traps made out of a 2 liter bottle but it still takes a while to actually trap them. I have 5 in my tank right now - 2 yellow tails and three, 4 striped damsels. I put 2 big fake decorations in the tank to provide hiding spaces for them since i dont have any rock yet. Ill just take those out and it should be pretty easy haha
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #36

I started the same way. Just a few rocks at a time and its over a year later and everything is fine. And about the damsels it is very true you can't catch them after you have a larger amount of rocks. I can't catch them at all. I have 4 I want out but they hide inside my rocks. They are a pain!!!

Tags
freshwater, rock, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com