Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

This may seem like a dumb question, but I can get a really great deal on 200 lbs of used rock for only $100 that's currently in a freshwater aquarium! Would I be able to use this rock in my new saltwater setup? That would be really awesome. Thanks for the help in advance

Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im also wondering if I need to clean the rock before I put it in my tank and what's the best way to do that?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of rock is it? I would be inclined not to use it, unless you cleaned it really well. Boil it I think? Not sure about where you are from but you could probably get dry/base rock for that price. Or at least used rock from a salt tank.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get rock from any landscaping place for way less
Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure exactly what type of rock it is but it looks really porous. The seller was using it in a 120 gallon cichlid tank that he can no longer have. I live in California and i havent been able to find any live rock for less than $5 a pound or any dry base rock this cheap either. I just read somewhere that I could add the rock and it would just become dead rock or base rock which is what I want because its a lot cheaper and it will become live over time. So boiling it would be the way to clean it? Heres a link to the ad with some pictures

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3841130985.html
Old 06-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FishMan View Post
I'm not sure exactly what type of rock it is but it looks really porous. The seller was using it in a 120 gallon cichlid tank that he can no longer have. I live in California and i havent been able to find any live rock for less than $5 a pound or any dry base rock this cheap either. I just read somewhere that I could add the rock and it would just become dead rock or base rock which is what I want because its a lot cheaper and it will become live over time. So boiling it would be the way to clean it? Heres a link to the ad with some pictures

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3841130985.html
Pour boiling water on it and scrubbing with plain water is the best way to clean. Boiling the rocks could cause them the explode because of gases trApped inside
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I soak new rock in a water/beach mix for a couple days, scrubbing it done a couple times before rinsing. Never had any issues doing it that way. If you plan on keeping corals, you need to research the type of rock you get as different types of rock can leach various minerals, etc affecting water quality and coral health
Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I asked the seller what kind of rock it is and he said that its red lava rock. I did a quick search on whether its safe or not and didn't really find a straight answer. Some say its fine but then I read lava rock is actually bad for saltwater because it has anaerobic pockets that will build up toxic bacteria that will kill the fish. So what do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

After reading off of one forum, there are different opinions. Some say it can have high levels of iron or other metals. Personally I wouldn't take the risk if you don't know it's safe. A cheap buy could lead to an expensive loss.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...tank-1754.html

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Copied from the web:

"The problem with lava rock isn't so much that it does nothing (any surface which can be inhabited by aerobic bacteria will be in a marine tank), it's that it is infamous for leaching Phosphates into the water which have a decremental effect on invertebrates and corals, and also cause massive algal blooms. Honestly I'd probably also be wary of the bioballs in such a system because they're likely to capture and harbour such nutrients. If you put any kind of surface in your tank, do all you can to ensure it's either a calcium-based rock or sand, or a neutral virgin plastic so that nothing is being leached into the water."

The bad part about hearing from those that have used it with no problems is not knowing if the rocks have degraded enough over time to start leaching. It may be fine for a couple years, then suddenly kill your entire tank. Also the algae part mentioned would not be fun. I know it's cheap and looks great in a freshwater tank, but saltwater is a different animal am breaks things down much quicker and differently than fresh.

Tags
freshwater, rock, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com