Using Activated Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put a new filter on my 30 gal FOWLR tank. I put in a magnum HOT filter. It seems to have made the tank clearer. I had an aquaclear which I always like, but the magnum is almost like having another powerhead. It sprays the water around the tank. It came with activated carbon. So I put it in. I plan on using other filter media, but I just wanted to use the carbon. Some people say a couple of days some say a couple of weeks. I don't want to leave it in too long and end up having anything get back into the water. It has been two weeks already. Should I change it?

Jim

The carbon will lose its efficiency after a few days. I would remove it after a week. It is a good idea to run carbon for a few days each month.

I try to use chemi pure instead of GAC. It is a resin and supposedly last longer than GAC. I agree with Lisa that GAC wont last much longer than a week.

I plan on using Purigen. I have used it for years. When I bought the new filter, it came with GAC. I just figured I would use it instead having sit in a closet. I will change it now since it has been two weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

I got some decent bulk carbon and run it 24/7 in my mixed reef. I usually change it out once every 2 weeks. I have noticed it stops working well after the first week. I use it to control toxins that my lps/soft/sps corals produce from being house together, IMO carbon will also help with exporting nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom