Using local species to stock tank - live rock / structure ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

washout

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently setup a 55 gallon salt water tank. Now that all of the levels have balanced out properly, and a few test bait fish have survived, I'm ready to go out and catch my aquarium stock. Given that I live in Charleston, SC I have access to a lot of great species and know how to catch them.

My question is around structure, however. I'd like to add a few small oyster clusters as well as some rocks and possibly wood to recreate a small dock pylon. However, I'm unsure if any of these (besides the oysters) would be a great idea in a tank.

Does anyone have any experience in taking rocks, wood, etc from a salt marsh and preparing it for a tank to be stocked with local fish? Any suggestions or things I should take into consideration? My goal here is to not have to empty and clean the tank and start over because I do something stupid

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you investigated the legal requirements of collecting? Fines and punishments can be pretty stiff and not worth the gamble IMO.

Yes, and I have some friends who work for the SC Department of Natural Resources, and they provided me with the advice on what species I can collect in order to stay legal.

Excellent. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, I've seen too many go about it before researching though.

Not a problem! That's why I'm here actually, to hopefully find someone who has done this in the past so I can get some tips. The LFS haven't been too helpful...

Thanks Tildar! That reinforces what I was told by my friend. Basically, I was told if it's legal to have it on the boat, it's legal to have it at home.

But what I'm specifically asking for here is help in taking structure from the wild and incorporating in the tank. I guess it would be no different than having live rock shipped in? Or a wild caught fish? Just keep in QT and introduce if no problems?

Anyone know of any specific problems with putting driftwood in a tank? I've done this in my fresh water tank with no issues...

Back
Top Bottom