Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

using marine buffer

Do any of you guys use marine buffer? I bought a bottle when I was setting up my tank. It says it safely raises pH to 8.3.

Just wondering if there's any other ways to raise pH cuz I know alot of you guys don't like to put stuff in your water.

My pH is about 7.8.. it's been slowly dropping over the past week so I'm about to add some marine buffer unless you guys suggest otherwise.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I use the powder if needed. No ill effects.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, it is the Seachem Marine Buffer powder.
Just added it so let's see how it does.

Also I read on the bottle that I can restore trace elements with one of their other products.

If nitrates are kept under control, and trace elements were dosed, wouldn't that eliminate the need for frequent PWC's?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

err

When I do PWC do I add enough buffer for only the amount of water I'm changing or for the whole tank?

I don't know if buffer "wears out" or whatever.

Dang this is confusing.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

First of all, Fresh made Sw is a buffer. If you are doing PWC`s as needed then your PH would be OK. The correct reading will be right before your lights go out. If you can post what your PH is about an hour before the lights go out.
Secondly, your quote "If nitrates are kept under control, and trace elements were dosed, wouldn't that eliminate the need for frequent PWC's?"
I dont believe this to be true. 1) PWC`s dilute excessive nutrients that cause nuisance algea and affect fish health. Many a person I know and have seen on this site have slacked off on their PWC and then they are posting threads like "Why are my fish dead" or "my tank just crashed". I have seen it over and over. 2) PWC`s help to replenish lost trace elements that are used up by different fish and coral processes. I know you said something about dosing trace elements but they have no where near as many as a good PWC. In a marine salt mix there are 89 different salts in there that help to make up the trace elements. liquid doses dont even have half of that. Your tank is better off doing the extra work and doing PWC`s. If you look at my tank that`s the result of doing weekly PWC`s for 13 yrs now. Give your tankmates the extra work necessary. JMO and IME.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks.

Yeah I was just curious about the trace element dosing and PWC's. PWC's are recommended by everyone everywhere.. so I will stick to it. I really don't mind them. Easy and "freshens" up the tank.

My pH problem is just confusing for me, probably because I'm new. I'm having a hard time reading the test results. The water has a purplish tint to it, but it's so transparent that it's hard to match it to a color on the color sheet. Should I hold it flat against the white part of the color card? I will have my LFS test my pH today.

I just need to learn how to get it stable.

How do I know when to re-dose with buffer? I guess just stay on top of the test results? It would be nice if I could just dose with every PWC so I *know* it's at 8.3.

Please forgive my newness
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yesterday the LFS tested my water and my pH was 8.3 and KH 12

Today my KH is 9 1/2 - 10, and I can't tell what my pH is. Can you guys tell? It doesn't match any color to me.

What would cause the KH to drop 2 in one day?
And is the pH ok?

The LFS was out of test kits for pH so they couldn't test it for me today.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Read this article esp. the sections on PH and alkalinity.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for that link.
My problem would be a downward spike, which that article states can be very stressful.

I do not remember the numbers, but I do remember having a nice 8.3 reading from the LFS before I stocked.

Before adding the seachem marine buffer in the past week, my reading was around a 7.6 or 7.8.

I added the marine buffer twice (on separate days) and it's been two days since I've done that. My pH reading today is 8.0 at my best guess. The dkh is about 10.

Should I add more marine buffer? The buffer says it will stabilize at 8.3.. or should I wait and see what the pH does?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There is nothing wrong with 8.0 for your PH. If you can keep it stable then that will be OK. How often are you doing PWC`s?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
buffer, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com