Using NSW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
There have been a lot of controversy on whether using NSW is ok or not and I hope to prove it to be good or bad. I just set up a biocube 14g and filled it with store bought sand and the rest with salt water gathered from the ocean in my backyard. Today, I'm going to buy some live rock from a store and by next week hopefully buy a fishy. Wish me luck!

There's no doubt that it's able to support fish...there's just the ever present risk of bringing in some real nasties. Also, many of the things in sea water that grow into algae or hydroids or whatnot have natural predators which would not be present in your fish tank.

You could probably go for a while without too much trouble though.

Pollutant wise, you will have less issues using NSW if you collect it in deeper water. Away from inlets and close to the coast and such. Living down there, I'm sure you access to a boat to do such a thing. You still risk the unwanted hitchikers though.

your boat's exhaust, is expelled under water, right where you are considering collecting water for your tank.
i would say you'll easily be able to keep the fish that you see as you look out into the water at the back of your yard. those are used to that sort of water, but the fish collected in cleaner waters, are used to something different, and i think it will be less then ideal for them.

We'll see how it goes. If 2 fish die, I will immediately switch to homemade saltwater.

Is it worth it to see if fish die doing your experiment. You have gotten several responses that tell you what the deal is. What are you trying to prove doing this experiment if you dont mind me asking?

People have told me that using NSW is bad because it may contain pests and my fish will probably die but I want to see that myself.

I know that people do use water from the ocean however it is collected and filtered then uv sterilized also it is piped in not gotten from a boat. It isn't the pest you have to worry as it about it is pollution. What are you going to do with the rock and sand if you fish die? How can you tell if the fish die because of a pest or pollution?

You really don't need luck!!
GOOD LUCK LITTLE FISH!!!

I am also in Miami and collect my water at haulover inlet when the tide is coming in...that being said I've never had a prob. Don't collect from the inter-coastal though there's lots of rain runoff that will carry pollutants.

Back
Top Bottom