Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Using prime ?

Hi Gang
I have my fish in QT for ICH going thru HYPO and wanted to know if it is OK to use prime to bring down the ammonia along with PWC's?
__________________

__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,462
How often are you performing water changes and at what %? Prime just binds the NH3, but there shouldn't be much present anyways.
__________________

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
How often are you performing water changes and at what %? Prime just binds the NH3, but there shouldn't be much present anyways.
I'm doing 30% (20 Gallon QT) every other day when NH3 reaches .50ppm.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,462
Not good enough. Ideally you should be performing 50% water changes daily or at the very least 50% every other day. You should have next to nil NH3 readings.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Not good enough. Ideally you should be performing 50% water changes daily or at the very least 50% every other day. You should have next to nil NH3 readings.
OK, not a problem 50% it is. On the other part of the question you answered what exactly is meant by Binding the NH3?
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,410
unless im badly mistaken, hes meaning that prime doesnt get rid of ammonia, it just kind of locks it like ammo-lok or something like that...
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
unless im badly mistaken, hes meaning that prime doesnt get rid of ammonia, it just kind of locks it like ammo-lok or something like that...
Do you mean something like encapsulating the ammonia molecules so they don't affect the fish but still remain in the aquarium until a PWC?
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
Not physically encapsulating... but that's probably an OK way to think of it. Not sure of the actual chemistry, but all the ammonia "removers" just convert the ammonia (NH3) to something that is not toxic to fish - it binds the ammonia chemically to other molecules.

Prime is good stuff, but the problem (in my opinion, at least) with using it is that the ammonia that's been bound up and deemed safe will still show up with your ammonia test kit. So even using Prime, the ammonia won't go to zero as shown in your testing - but it is supposedly safe because it's in a different form. So basically... you have to keep using the Prime because you don't know if the ammonia you're measuring is the safe stuff, or new untreated ammonia. Hope that makes sense.
__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Not physically encapsulating... but that's probably an OK way to think of it. Not sure of the actual chemistry, but all the ammonia "removers" just convert the ammonia (NH3) to something that is not toxic to fish - it binds the ammonia chemically to other molecules.

Prime is good stuff, but the problem (in my opinion, at least) with using it is that the ammonia that's been bound up and deemed safe will still show up with your ammonia test kit. So even using Prime, the ammonia won't go to zero as shown in your testing - but it is supposedly safe because it's in a different form. So basically... you have to keep using the Prime because you don't know if the ammonia you're measuring is the safe stuff, or new untreated ammonia. Hope that makes sense.
What your saying makes complete sense. Basically there is no way to measure what's safe and what's not so it's best to just increase the pwc's and forget that prime has anything to do with ammonia control because there is no way to measure what prime is doing correctly. Thanks for all of your help Kurt.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
What your saying makes complete sense. Basically there is no way to measure what's safe and what's not so it's best to just increase the pwc's and forget that prime has anything to do with ammonia control because there is no way to measure what prime is doing correctly. Thanks for all of your help Kurt.
Yeah... I guess that's what I was trying to say!
__________________

__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prime, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too much Prime? severum mama Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 12-14-2006 12:36 AM
Prime Satsumas Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 05-04-2006 06:02 PM
PRIME Brian Vartanian Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 11-18-2005 10:47 AM
Prime aquazen Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 12 09-30-2004 12:50 AM
Seachem Prime cdawson Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 07-16-2003 02:31 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.