UV Sterilizer for Fluval 205?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trishark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Im setting up a 30 gallon hex saltwater, fish only (will add live rock later after tank is established). I got a Fluval 205 canister fliter and want a UV sterilzer that is easy to use, not too expensive, compatible with the Fluval 205 and can be attached to the outflow. I used to have a UV sterilizer for my other tanks years go and I cant remember the name. It was a white tube that allowed you to change the UV bulb without unplugging or disassembling anything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

I personally would add the rock now so you can cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. If not you`ll have to cure the LR in a seperate tank before you can add it to the DT. As far as the UV I`ve only ever used one kind and that was a coralife Turbo twist.

Thanks for the advice. I added live rock and a damsel 2-3 days ago to help cycle the tank. The water was clear. My ammonia levels were .50-1.0 because of the city water. I added ammo lock. This morning I turned on my tank, noticed the water was cloudy, my fish had died (*sniff*) and I have these light brownish worms with many little legs in my sand and on some of the live rocks, I believe they are called "Bristol worms", I haven't done research yet. I tested my ammonia and it spiked to 2.0, I added more ammo-lock (it says add every 2 days- and after 7 days if still present, do a water change)...
Here are my questions/concerns:
1) Are those worms harmful? I haven't seen them before adding liverock, so I am assuming they came with it. What should I do? I don't want them to multiply and over take my tank.
2) Is my ammonia supposed to spike because of the cycling process? I thought the liverock would have brought it down.
3) Can I use my freshwater master test kit to test saltwater? The Nitrite test says its both for salt and fresh. My ammonia test says freshwater, but my local fishstore guy said I could use the freshwater ammonia test kit to test my saltwater.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!

Cycling a SW tank is different to a FW tank. You dont add fish to help the cycle as you do with FW. You add some raw shrimp so the bacteria can grow to get rid off it.
The process takes anywhere from 2-6weeks. Dont add any fish untill levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are acceptable. (No trace of Amm/Nitrite).

Also, The worms are fine, They're good scavangers.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The
'raw shrimp method' is definitely the way to go. :)

As a tester fish may I recommend a Green Chromis? They are just as hardy but don't get territorial like a damsel does.
Eg. If you add a damsel first it 'claims' a spot in the tank, another fish goes there look out! Chormis' (though a kind of damsel) don't do this. They are very peaceful. I tested with a Chromis and still have him, lovely little guy. Thats just me opinion and experience though.

Back
Top Bottom