Vacation Feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digital Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I have had my FOWLER up and running since this past October and while I don't have any immediate vacation plans, I wanted to get some advice on what others do in terms of vacation feeding. Unfortunately, I don't have someone that can do it for me and while I do have an automatic feeder, obviously can't put frozen food in there and not all fish eat flakes and freeze dried food. Typically, wouldn't be gone for more than a week.

Right now, I only have a couple of clown fish, pygmy angel, scooter blenny, chocolate chip sea star, blood shrimp and a couple of snails. I am stocking slow but anticipate having a few more fish by the time summer rolls around.

Thanks!

From what I heard, a fish can go a few weeks without eating and be fine. I could be wrong thou. I have not tested it yet. :p

If it's only a week that shouldn't be a problem. Water top off shouldn't be an issue for a week. Mine goes for about a week before I top it off.

I have an auto top off that I have been using since I first set-up the tank. The thing works great and haven't had any problems with it.

do you have a sump, could load that with pods before you go away?

I tried the block for my Betta, it sucked and made the water look dirty.

Well my Lfs sells copepds so I assume its not a one off I've also seen them on eBay if you bought loads of them and put them in the sump they will make there way into the tank but not all at once, that way your fish can eat them as they arrive in the tank and th pods breed in the sump

Any other suggestions? In regards to the reply about being able to go a week without feeding, has anyone else done this? Not that I am looking to torture the fish but this seems like a reasonable option since I don't have someone to feed in my absence and can't use frozen food in an automatic feeder.

When I went away for 2 weeks last year I had an auto top off set up and an automatic feeder with flake. Came back and it was just how I left it. The only thing I had to do was get my neighbour to change to auto top up reservoirs as a 25 litre tank was not enough.

Back
Top Bottom