Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both fuge and skimmer help keep good water quality. The waste excreted from these fish are very high.

I feed raw shrimp, scallops, clams, and mussel. Any crustacean is fine. Thaw them in a bowl of tank water. Once thawed, i use feeding tongs to transfer food from bowl to tank. Dump the water in the bowl afterwards. Once thawed, never refreeze.

Feed until tummy is slightly rounded. Very difficult to starve these fish, but you can overfeed and kill them with your kindness.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brilliant thank you, is it the fish that makes the waste or just the food they d ont eat? I know you can't have cuc with these but would a goby go well to pick at the food the puffers don't eat?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its actually both that causes terrible water quality. Without fuge and skimmer, you are looking at weekly 50% water changes.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Luckily I have both then although may look at better skimmer in that case, what do you have in with puffers to keep sand and rocks clean out of interest?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Puffers tend to be stand alone showcase fish, and when you're a puffer owner keeping a live rock heap that your puffer can't get into should help keep your CUC around.... If you want a puffer, lol, I would get used to having a lot of bristle worms... Puffers need to sharpen their beaks/ teeth so when they eat they tend to shred things up and make a huge mess. Hi terrence!! Here's my gsp eatingPuffy snacking on freeze dried krill | Facebook
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I guessed that might be the case, could be good with the cuc though because my live rock has a lot of hides holes that e puffer won't get into. Surely a goby and clowns should help with the shredded off bits too as long as its eaten.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exclamation careful

puffers do have a way of stressing out and nipping other fish, which we know can be a pretty big problem. I'm not saying it's impossible, I believe valentini are less aggressive, though bigger, than their brackish counterparts. Just make sure that there's enough space for everyone to have their own little nook. Good luck, keep us posted
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

My puffer leaves all my snails alone and they do a great job! 2x conch, 2x turbo and 2x banded trochus...
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
My puffer leaves all my snails alone and they do a great job! 2x conch, 2x turbo and 2x banded trochus...
Lucky you! You got a keeper. If your puff is still young, then it there is still a chance of an attack when he/she gets bigger and more mature.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My puffer had a blue clawed crab that I thought he was ok with, lol, and then he grew a little, flipped the crab on it's back and tore into the belly and ripped the claws off lol, it happens.

Tags
puffer, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com