Valentini puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikebfc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My valentinis teeth are getting a bit long does any one know of anything I could put in for him to gnaw on I.e cuttlefish bones etc
Cheers

I'm not sure puffers would naw at anything, maybe try dead coral, not fake, I believe most puffers aren't reef safe so try dead coral(the remaining skeleton) I never heard of anyone trying to shorten puffer fish teeth. In fact it might be just fine to continue to let its teeth grow. I've seen puffers with pretty long teeth and were just fine. But if your really worried try a coral skeleton. Since they're not reef safe I think that'll work, they'll eat live coral. I don't think you should try cuttle bone though it might mess with the tanks chemistry and it might be to thick for the puffer to even think about chewin on it. But it's up to you(y)

Don't leave the teeth they do need to grind them down I used to fed mine clams and shelled food as it ate trims ack the teeth

woody390 said:
Don't leave the teeth they do need to grind them down I used to fed mine clams and shelled food as it ate trims ack the teeth

+1. Any hard shelled crustacean will work for filing those teeth back

I got some clams today! I defrosted it and put it in the tank! But should I be opening the shell or not? As I would like the clean up crew to get rid of any left overs to avoid it rotting etc

I opened it this time! Think my clown liked it more than my puffer

Yeah the valentini probz won't get it open and yeah my clowns and shrimp loved it too. I used to either open it or tap it with a rolling pin to crack it a bit but force puffer into biting the shell to get in. Not sure of it was right but that's what I did

Back
Top Bottom