very high ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penczer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
]40 gal salt water tank...have had very high ammonia levels for a week..don't know why... desperate... have added ammo-lock 3-4 times...stresszyme 3-4 ... mutiple water changes...not a new tank 6mos+ fish are reaaly stressed

Did something die that you do not know of? How much are you feeding? Was anything added just before the high levels of ammonia appeared such as new rock, inverts, etc....? How many/what fish do you have in the tank? Any source of filtration (live rock, filter, or fuge)? What are the water parameter levels as well? As of now, just do 25% water changes every other day to see if that will help bring the ammonia down.

If they get too stress, I would set up a temp tank for the fishes. Move some LR over to the tank to act as a filter, don't forget heater and PH also.

high ammonia

I had a coral beauty that died but before the chemisrty went off..)
Had a damsel in distress and that is when I 1st noticed ph low 7.8 all else was fine...had a chocolate star...LFS said it was probably bothering the damsel....added stess coat....kept adding reef buffer to bring ph up (didn't happen)...thenn started noticing traces of ammmonia. thought I got right on it..added ammo-lock did water change...star died...shrimp died Amoonia reading as of last evening were osss the chart....ph.7.8+ nitrates and nitites fine at this point I am just waiting for all to die and disable tank ..too painful
40 gal 6mo. old sw..down sized from 3yr ols 75 gal...
! tang....4 damsels.....2 fugi damsels...1 clown 2-4 snails

Did you remove the coral beauty and the star before they started rotting? Don't mess with the pH, it is what it is. Messing with the pH can get you in even more trouble and stress the fish out even more. The fish that you have listed at the bottom of your post, do you have them all in the 40g currently?

high ammonia

yes 40 gal tank... if it is over crowded would that cause such a rapid spike?...I am so totally confused and discouraged as there doesn't seem to be any solution except to just wait this out and "may the best fish win"

The problem is that your bioload is too much. A tang should not be in a tank that small. That will add to the high bioload. Dont wait for "the best fish to win". Take them back to the LFS and try to get your parameters back to where they need to be.

Back
Top Bottom