Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

In the QT maybe every other day PWC`s. Something to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. I would also do some twice a week PWC`s in your main tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still can't believe the Emp died

Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
is back to save the day!

Yeah sorry for the loss dude. Not only the money, but a beautiful fish lost forever.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feel so bad like I killed him and he didn't get to live, he was such a little guy. I just want the Sunset to live though. If he dies I'm getting out of this hobby altogether. There's no way I could look at my fish tank ever again without my Sunset. I've had him for three years and he started out just as a little guy like the Emp Angel.

Steve
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve, did this start when after you installed your new skimmer? Is it possible your new skimmer is not sealed correctly either leaching something into the water whether it be sealed in motor lubricant or even stray electrical current.
Just a thought.
I'm really sorry for the loss of your emperor. Do the best you can, unfortunately bad things like this happen but we have to keep moving forward brother.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It started after a water change with fresh carbon added which apparently was a terrible brand. I was concerned I hadn't washed it off enough but I just kept rinsing and rinsing and that black dust just kept coming off! So I put it in my sump anyway and it looked like it was coming off in the water but I left it anyway.
I'm just not getting why there would be ammonia in the water because my tank has been cycled already and up and running for three years! I think if adding the three fish at once is what caused this problem with the biological load problem, wouldn't this problem have happened a few weeks ago when I first added them?

I don't know all I know is I am worried right now so much about the Wrasse. He's still alive in a quarentine tank but he looks awful and the ammonia is already started to spike in that, so I just did a 50% water change and used prime. Is there anything such as a fish vet maybe I could take him to to examine those injuries he obtained?

Steve
Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
... I think if adding the three fish at once is what caused this problem with the biological load problem, wouldn't this problem have happened a few weeks ago when I first added them?...
Not necessarily... it can take a while for the ammonia to build up. When you cycle a tank, it can take a week for the ammonia to start showing up even though you've got a shrimp in there rotting away all that time.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
It started after a water change with fresh carbon added which apparently was a terrible brand. I was concerned I hadn't washed it off enough but I just kept rinsing and rinsing and that black dust just kept coming off! So I put it in my sump anyway and it looked like it was coming off in the water but I left it anyway.
I'm just not getting why there would be ammonia in the water because my tank has been cycled already and up and running for three years! I think if adding the three fish at once is what caused this problem with the biological load problem, wouldn't this problem have happened a few weeks ago when I first added them?

I don't know all I know is I am worried right now so much about the Wrasse. He's still alive in a quarentine tank but he looks awful and the ammonia is already started to spike in that, so I just did a 50% water change and used prime. Is there anything such as a fish vet maybe I could take him to to examine those injuries he obtained?

Steve
IMO you should reduce the salinity in the QT it will take some stress off of him. I've recently done tons of reading on hyposalinity (Because my DT got ich) and found that lowering the salinity allows the fish to breathe easier and when brought down to 1.009 causes ich to die.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Wrasse is gone I basically killed him because I added to many fish at once and now the ammonia killed him. Now I am getting out of this hobby. I can't BELIEVE THIS!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't quit. Could someone of added stuff to your tank with out you knowing?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com