Very worried right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear about the wrasse but you can't and shouldn't quit Man. I know it's sad but you still have other fish that need your attention, so go have beer to calm the nerves and get back to those fish.

I know but I had him for three years and he honestly wasn't like any other fish I've had in the past. he had such personality to him, it was amazing. None of the other fish had the personality he had.

And now I might even lose the Hippo and Yellow Tang, I just don't know what is wrong with my water. There's no ammonia in there, or nitrite PH is good Alk is good, phosphates are low and calcium is good. What is going on guys? I don't know what to say or do anymore!

I know but I had him for three years and he honestly wasn't like any other fish I've had in the past. he had such personality to him, it was amazing. None of the other fish had the personality he had.

And now I might even lose the Hippo and Yellow Tang, I just don't know what is wrong with my water. There's no ammonia in there, or nitrite PH is good Alk is good, phosphates are low and calcium is good. What is going on guys? I don't know what to say or do anymore!
I'm sorry about your loss but we all lose family, friends and pets that we love dearly, you can't just turn your back and give up you have to put it behind you and move on. Unfortunately this wont be the last time you lose something you love and for those who don't, are truly blessed.
Setup a qt with new water and get them out of the tank. Remember the qt will go thru a cycle with the fish in it and you must keep on top of testing and PWC's. Are they having difficulty breathing?

How about temp.? I have not heard anyone ask about temp. I have had fish that i killed because i was not paying attention to the temp. In my opinion i don't think you should give up. You also got to realize that a sunset wrasse lives at max for about 5 years. He lived for quite a while more then half his life. + not talking about his age when you got him. So he did live for a while and close to there estimated living time. Also you did not kill him when it comes to putting to much fish in the tank. Your tank parameters did not go crazy or anything. Also i add 2 fish every 2 weeks to my tank when i make them.

temp was fine, salinity was fine, ammonia is back down to 0, no nitrite or nitrate. Phosphates are good, alk is good, PH is good so I don't know what else I can do other then wait and see what happens.
I did decide to go ahead and add that Marineland product called bio spira. I've had great luck with it in the past and I thought they had discontinued it but today when I was in my LFS they had it. So I went ahead and put that in and the ammonia is back down to 0. I am gonna go ahead and use it too everytime I put a new fish in because this product contains millions of live bacteria that will help with aiding in the added fish waste to help out my biological filtration until it can adjust to the new fish. Had I added that in the first place instead of throwing three fish in at once, the Wrasse and Emp would probably still be alive.
I'm sure there's people on here who are probably going to say "oh no bio spira isn't necessary" well I've had luck with it in the past so I'm gonna continue to use it each time a fish is added. Not to mention I can use it to setup a sick tank. I almost lost the Wrasse once before to ammonia problems and I added the bio spira, and what do ya know? next morning he was still alive and well.
And don't worry, I'm not just gonna up and leave the tank without caring for it. I'm sure Rainbow wouldn't want it that way anyway, he'd want me to go on and be strong. (I bet all you guys are laughing at me right now talking like that)

Steve

No one is going to laugh at you for that. A loss of any pet is tragic.

I'm glad to hear that you're sticking with it. Best of luck. I think Rainbow would be proud of you for getting back on the horse. :)

Honestly at this point I'm not even thinking about getting fish yet. I'm still feeling guilty about the Wrasse that I might've killed him, especially when I remembered I had used a power filter for circulation in the sick tank I moved him over to. The power filter was used for fresh water and my LFS told me you can't use equipment for salt water that was used on a fresh water tank, is that true?

I miss the little Emp too :(

Honestly at this point I'm not even thinking about getting fish yet. I'm still feeling guilty about the Wrasse that I might've killed him, especially when I remembered I had used a power filter for circulation in the sick tank I moved him over to. The power filter was used for fresh water and my LFS told me you can't use equipment for salt water that was used on a fresh water tank, is that true?

I miss the little Emp too :(

No

The power filter was used for fresh water and my LFS told me you can't use equipment for salt water that was used on a fresh water tank, is that true?

That is so bogus, it would be the other way around. And that still isn't true, it would just take a large cleaning.

Well I'm gonna be heading home shortly, I just hope the hippo and yellow tang are still alive. I am going to setup a QT just for future referance. In case they get sick or they continue to breathe heavily, I have that. If Lose 4 fish I Am gonna feel terrible.

Back
Top Bottom