Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Vinyl tubing keeps coming loose! 😣

Hey peeps, I need some help here. My vinyl tubing keeps detaching itself from my rio 2500 submersible pump. This is the first time, and it's becoming quite irritating to say the least.... And creates a huge mess.

Furthermore, there is a great deal of white, slimy buildup in the tubing that makes its way into the tank.

I've thought about doing a zip tie where the hose connects to the pump, but was interested in knowing if anyone else has any better suggestions??

Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would look for plastic hose clamps. Should be able to find them online or at a local hardware and/or plumbing supply store.

Squeeze to tighten; twist sideways to release.

When I had a canister I would see the same buildup in the tubing and after restarting the pump, some of it would get pushed into the tank. Not sure what you can do aside from periodically removing it and running hot water or a pipe cleaner through it.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok nice! Thank you... I thought about the hose clamps too, but I could only find metal ones. I did not get them due to the possibility of rust...
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyLLU View Post
Ok nice! Thank you... I thought about the hose clamps too, but I could only find metal ones. I did not get them due to the possibility of rust...
I could be wrong but I believe those clamps are stainless steel, which will not rust.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use metal hose clamps and they do in fact rust, but Ihave not had any issues with them. Worse case scenario you replace them every 6 months, they are like 50 cents a piece. lol
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Usually put a stocking over the outlet back into the tank before turning the pump on. It will catch everything instead of going into tank. Works great.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

I could be wrong but I believe those clamps are stainless steel, which will not rust.
I did a google search for plastic hose clips and the ones depicted were being sold by drs foster & smith. Probably more commonly seen in the white plastic version.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com