Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
I thought each week you add a one off of 0.5ml then double your dosage,have you not seen any difference in the stuff the skimmer takes out?
Yes my skimmer is getting some nasty stuff out

Old 12-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

If done right bioload 'doesn't matter' to the size of your incremental dose because you gradually step up the dose until your nitrates start to drop, then once @ an acceptable range for nitrates, you cut your dose down into a maintenance dose.

The increments you step up are so small, it's a function of water volume. After a few weeks, when you've reached your max dose, it really is a function of bioload, but there is no way to calculate what that dose will be based on bioload.

So yes, bioload determines you maint dose, but you have to get there by slowly increasing your dose based on water volume & time.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS View Post
Here is a great write up ...
Mine is very basic and so simple to build and maintain
Algae Scrubber Basics
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic747 View Post
Would like to know more about the scrubber

Vodka,vinegar,sugar or anything else just seems like a risky thing to me when there are other safer and easier ways to lower trates...Would hate to see a tank crash ...I personally have had great success with a scrubber,,just seems like with dosing ,the risks far out weigh the reward,and you don't need a super skimmer ,,heck i don't have one at all,,never did
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO I think vodka dosing should only be used by experts And on sps dominated tanks, where having zero nitrates and phosphates is a must. There is no need to do it with fowlr or mixed reef tanks. If you do a search most people only dose vodka with tanks that are mature sps tanks with very few fish. A better alternative it to add a turf scrubber and a phosphate reactor, along with a fuge with macro algae and a dsb.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO there is a need to have best water for your fish. Bioload makes a difference to how much vodka you end up putting in, that one fish huma-huma used as an example is only going to produce a small amount of nitrates so you will only need a small amount of vodka.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct me if im wrong but the number of fish you have wouldn't exactly determine how high your nitrates would be if this were true you wouldn't have any in your cycle period
Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Number of fish contributes to bioload and when taken with your ability to remove organics (LR, filtration etc) are an indicator of what your nitrate levels would be. Fish are only one part of the equation.

I have a high bioload - fully stocked 30 gal mixed reef. Fish & LPS well fed, but through filtration my nitrates stay at 5ppm or less.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

I stumbled upon this and have one question. Has anyones fish gotten drunk? I have a feeling it would entertaining to see that..
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahh, no.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper92 View Post
I stumbled upon this and have one question. Has anyones fish gotten drunk? I have a feeling it would entertaining to see that..
Its less than a shot dilluted with 100 plus gallons of water I think that would be impossible

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com