Volitan Lion Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are quite a few possibilities but if you could give us some detailed info about your set up and the animals you already have, that would go a long way to giving you a much better informed suggestion. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

LOL... just realized you are continuing from >>this thread<<.

There are many possibilities, but as I stated in the above link, it really depends on the tank type you will end up keeping and the direction you wish to take the tank. Answering those previous questions would help alot.

Without more info, all I can suggest is reading this >>compatability chart<< for some guidance. Just remember that the fish you may end up keeping can't read it. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I do not have it set up yet...you replied to my other post on getting started so if that helps any. I'm getting a 75 gallon tank I know. I do not have anything set up...I'm just wondering what choices I have to choose from to better learn about the fish/coral. I know a great deal about the lion fish from lots of research, but nothing about who they can live with comfortably.

It's just a standard retangular tank, and I just don't know how to set it up. I want the lion fish like I said, and I am trying to set it up around this fish.

>>Here<< may be a good place to start. Most lions are nocturnal by nature and only a few types will actuall be active during the day. You should also choose by max. adult size as well. Many are very large growing species and would outgrow a 75 gal in time. Once you have decided on what type of lion strikes your fancy it may offer additional insights.

Most however are very similar in care and tank mates. The main rule being, never house any other fish that is small enough to fit in it's mouth. Most if not all decorative shrimps and crabs are out as well.

They will also do better in an FOWLR setting as it offers a much more natural environment for most lions as it provides for hiding places and allows it to maintain it's "predatory" behavior rather than being in an open tank.

HTH
Cheers
Steve

I know that I definetly want a volitan lion fish, black about medium size b/c of the tank size I am getting. I was in the pet store one day and saw one with a maroon clownfish, whit stripe...and just assumed that they could coexist together.

hehe.. if the maroon is big enough it can.. lionfishes eat like once every three days.. i had one that took down a damsel fish once every three days.. you gotta make sure to look at the mouth closely.. my lionfish's mouth looked way smaller than it was..

I was also wondering....I have looked at some other fish but haven't found the right information on them and was wondering if they could live with a volitan lion fish. They are a green emerald crab, hawiian flame angel, and unicorn tang. Also if you have any information regarding them about tank size, reef compatiable, etc?

The same caution basically applies. The main concern with the lion is not realy a matter of compatability but rather is the chosen tank mate large enough to be avoided as a meal.

If you get a smaller volations the chances are better for other fish. The crab is no different. If small enough, it will become dinner. The flame angel if large enough would be fine. They are also rather skiddish, so it will avoid the lion as much as possible but there are no guarantees. Having LR for hiding spaces would reduce the risk.

The tang would not be a good choice. They are both large growing species and the lion itself can/will get up to 13-15". It too may also outgrow the tank in time. Adding another large growing species would cause problems.

To be completely honest, this type of lion is best kept in a much larger tank FO or FOWLR and with other aggressive fish. It will however do fine by itself in the 75. It is definately not considered "reef compatible".

Cheers
Steve

Listed above are pretty good swimmer, I wouldn't really suspect them to become lunch. I do, however, think that a volitans will pack a 75g pretty tight and the addition of the tangespecially might cramp things a bit. I would look into a 120g or 125g to give room for all the fish to be in their own areas without bumping into one another constanstly.

I would also purchase the volitans as small as possible, and wean it over to frozen foods asap so you can provide it better nutrition (definitely do NOT feed goldfish!)

Back
Top Bottom