Volitan Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have all those lions lived 20 years like they're supposed to though? And tbh the way I see it with changing the diet is more like helping an anorexic or an obese person onto a more healthy diet to include better nutrition same as you would a kid it's simply doing what's best for the fish just my opinion though

I read about the liver problems too. That's why I initially switched to frozen silversides as they seemed better for the lion. Glad I finally got to the raw shrimp though. I'll still do silversides as well. Same as with the shrimp, I had to hold them in front of the lion to entice it. At first he wouldn't eat it unless it could see the eyes for some reason. After a while, it didn't matter.

Yeah I had the same with the eyes to start but didn't care after after a few fish heads would take anything

I think my Lionfish Malachi is an awesome fish,,I will go to whatever trouble I have to go through to keep him alive as long as possible.If live food is what makes him happy then live grub is what hes gonna get.I will still try to get him to eat frozen food but he,likes to hunt. Its like trying to get a Lion from Africa to be a vegetarian..........thanks for all The great advice :)

It's not like trying to get him to be a vegetarian as that would be equivalent of feeding your lionfish algae which coincidently mine keeps eating algae flakes that I try and feed my other fish lol

If he likes to hunt try making fish looks as natural as possible if he don't take interest straight away make your fish "swim away" and then swim back if you get what I'm saying lol. And just make sure he can see the eyes

They generally only eat fish head first to keep scales from sticking in their throats. They are unusually near sighted, like morays, the food has to be within inches to be sensed .

Ok I added two Squirelfish to my tank with the lionfish. Up to that point he was eating from chopsticks every time I came near tank and fed the fish. The other fish all eat algae (foxface and tang) the Squirelfish don't bother the lionfish but are aggressive eaters. My lionfish has stopped eating and remains in his cave. He doesn't seem interested in eating anymore. He has only eaten once in past 6 days despite many various efforts. Any suggestion s?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Every trick in the book but will only eat live food.......as far as being nearsighted as someone said ,I can drop a live fish on the other end of my 125 gal tank and he will race across the tank to nail it.

He was eating freeze dried shrimp and frozen fish from chopsticks w no problems before.

I had one go on a hunger strike for a few days, after normally going crazy for food. Shrimp could drop in front of him and he could care less. He suddenly snapped out of it and went back to his normal ways. No idea why either.

I tried live fish. No luck. Guess I will just keep catering to this pre madonna until he gets hungry enough or dies. It's day 3 not eating again.

You may need to reconsider the squirrelfish. Lionfish depend on stealth for food in the wild and voracious feeders can throw them off kilter. Try replacing the squirrels with something less aggressive when it comes to feeding. Also, something that doesn't want to eat the same foods as the Lion. Squirrels will eat live food so they are too intimidating for the Lion. That's my best guess ;)

Well after I think 9 days (started losing count) he came up and ate of course I was unprepared and only had freeze dried krill. But I was happy to see him eat

Attachments

• 1389373176012.jpg
    1389373176012.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 70
Glad to hear that. They can be picky am as you said, prima donnas. It looks healthy, so I wouldn't be too concerned. When mine was smaller, it would engorge itself and not have room in its stomach for anything for days. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom