w00t - a critter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I set up my 20g a couple months ago and about a week ago I had this abundance of diatoms. Well, just like you guys said they took care of themselves and have since disapeared mostly. I went away on a trip this weekend and when I got home last night OMG the tank has changed.. The colours of the rocks have all intensified. (The reds and purples mostly). Everything looks SOOO much more vibrant.

About 2 months ago when I started this tank I got live rock from the Dr's site and cycled my tank with it. I had a really hefty amonia spike of like 8ppm and so I had to do a couple water changes during the cycle to get them down in fear of killing everything on the LR. After the cycle was finished I added a few fish and some snails and a couple hermit crabs and an emerald crab.

Well, 2 of the 3 fish mysteriously turned up dead and I never did find out why. Someone mentioned I might have a preditor in the tank. I didnt see how I would considering i had that huge amonia spike. SO i just decided not to add anything new to the tank for a while..

Last night when I got home I walked in the door and instantly went to check on my fish! After looking over all the new colors in the tank I noticed a small little tiny star fish. It was climbing up the power cord on my PH. He wasnt moving at all but when I checked on the tank this morning he had moved down the cord about 5 inches. I noticed he is missing one of his "legs". He has 4 legs and 2 stubby's that look like there used to be a leg there maybe...

Soooo... I guess something DID survive the amonia spike. I wonder what else is in my tank that I dodnt know about.. I mean a friggn star fish??? whooaaa!!!!

You will be surprised what can live through a cycle. Congrats!

Yep - thats exactly what it looks like! Amazing. I am sooo excited. (Not sure why its so exciting but it is!) haha

Back
Top Bottom