Washing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me how often I should be washing/cleaning my filter media??

The tank is a (all in one) innovative marine 30g. Its a fowlr. At both corners there is an overflow which then goes into the back of my tank. The filtration is kinda like a plastic basket (one each side) and they hold a mechanical sponge, then underneath an activated carbon sponge then finally under neath that a phosphate sponge.

I think you should rinse everything out in old tank water after a water change. That way the BB doesn't die. (For the mechanical sponge)

That's what I'm currently doing, every 1-2 weeks when I water change I use the water taken out of the tank and wash the filtration media in there. I'm currently washing all 3 sponges. Do I only need to do the mechanical?

Yes, from my knowledge just clean the mechanical. replace the carbon when it loses its effectiveness. Hopefully someone with better experience can chime in.

Yes that was my next question. If I don't need to clean the carbon and phosphate sponges how often do I need to replace them?

Mr X...are you out there?

I clean my filters out every week. I use to not squeeze them out, but I was corrected and your suppose too squeeze them out apparently. Just make sure to do it in your dirty tank water only.

I change my carbon out once a month, and my phosphate I will go with for two months. I never really thought about a replacement schedule, but that has been working for me.

Back
Top Bottom