Watchman Goby acting Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody I have a yellow watchman goby that I've had for about 2+ weeks now but he has recently begin acting strange.

For the first 3-4 days I had him he was always on the sand in front of my tank and then moved into a hole in a rock where he stayed for about a week. I wasnt bothered when he was in his hole because I would see him still eat. Recently however he has come out of his hole and is always out but it seems like he spends a lot of the time at the water surface. I dont know what he is doing there and I was wondering if this was okay, also I do not have a pistol shrimp if that matters.

At night time he was again at the top then when I woke up he was in the back corner (brown and much darker color), then when I turned on my flourescent tank lights he came to the surface again and is now yellow.

Thank you for any help!

What are your water parameters? Usually fish going to the top indicate ammonia or some breathing issue.

When I got my watchman last week the first few days he was swimming at the top of the water, really worried me, but after a couple days he has settled back down to the substrate in a burrow.

Fish sometimes change color under stress as well, are there any fish that could be picking on him?

ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
pH - about 7.8
nitrates - about 10-20

There are no fish that harass him, I only have a small sebae clownfish and a watchman goby but they have never bothered him. Will check on him in a few hours when I get back home

I can't account for the swimming on the surface but my YWG looks really dull almost brown when the lights are out. Always back to bright yellow in the day though.

Back
Top Bottom