Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can u use water from the beach in your tank?

Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would of thought no due to the fact that it can carry lots of other things possibly like oil traces.

Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
There was a thread recently about this. There were a couple from the sounds of things that are doing just that but most would not reccomend doing that due to other contaniments in the water from runoff , pestacides , oils , ect.

I live in Connecticut and actually worked with a guy who used to get it from the ocean near where he lived and never had an issue even with the less than perfect water here in our state.

Also where exactly you are able to get it from also makes a big difference. Sure if you had a boat and able to get out to ( well lets just say the gulf stream ) open water you would be better that getting it from some little inlet from shore.

To me buying a salt mix and water filter is still fairly cheap in the long run and much more consistant.

Makes me think though " Oh honey I think we need to gat a boat so we can get water for the fish". Yeah right??
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com