Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

WATER!!!!

My nitrates are high about 40ppm and i want them as low as possible but my tap water wont cut it we recently received a letter from our water company that states our water contains radium(know to cause cancer) so is there any water you could buy at the grocery store that would be good to use in my tank

Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Radium or radon?

If it is radon it is a gas and I would think that if you let the water sit, the gas would escape.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Alot of stores sell R/O water now... At my local super wal mart culligan set up a kiosk that sells r/o for .33$ a gallon.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would have to agree with mjvincent R/O water is the best bet.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Radium or radon?

If it is radon it is a gas and I would think that if you let the water sit, the gas would escape.
It's probably Radium. (pdf link)

I would also go with a store bought RO water. Many LFS offer this as well as many larger grocery stores.

I honestly do not know if a home RO/DI filter would remove radium. You would need to check the specific manufaturer of a filter you were considering and ask.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com