Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I happen to live on a natural spring that produces very good quality water. I sometimes use DI water and sometimes dont and have not noticed any negative impacts on my aquarium when I dont use DI water. Again, this could be different for someone with poor quality water but getting a water chemistry breakdown from your water supplier would clear up any questions you had about quality of source water.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

whoa... arguements..lol.. its good tha i learn from all sides from a lot of people... anyways.. i decide to use tap water to start with with my cycle, i thinki can buy the RO/DI system in about a month and use it when i PWC. I might add dechlorinator and other stuff with it when i start my cycle. thanks for all helps people!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
I might add dechlorinator and other stuff with it when i start my cycle. thanks for all helps people!
You will have to add dechlorinator. The chlorine is in the water to start with to kill bacteria. When you're cycling, you're trying to make bacteria grow. Eventually, the chlorine will dissapate from your water, but if you're going this way, I'd use an additive that removes chlorines and heavy metals.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
Quote:
A DI alone will do just fine and save you some waste water in the process. If this is for a newly set up tank, no livestock, there would be no harm in experimentation in just using tap.
This is bad advice, tap water will burn right throught a DI cartridge in no time making it useless. Not sure where you get your facts from?
My facts are from the fact that many professionals are using straight di instead of ro/di in order to save what would be wasted water. There are quality di's that will not be burned through excessively and, as I stated before, depends upon your city water supply.
what professionals? Are they in the SW hobby and keep reef tank?
Never heard of using just DI water, want to learn more here.

I should say that on a FO tank its not as big a deal to use ro/di as with a reef tank. Heavy metals and phosphates can effect coral growth and I have experienced this when I tried to save water and used a Kold-Sterile unit for 8-10 month on my reef. Coral growth came to an almost stand still when I used that water.
Again all water is not the same and if your lucky enough to have good well /city water then good for you. More oftern then not tap water is not good enough to have a reef system.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Professionals as in zoos/aquariums. Many will also utilize a simplistic water softener before a di setup.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Professionals as in zoos/aquariums. Many will also utilize a simplistic water softener before a di setup.
These people have very deep pockets, unlike most of us.. And I bet there is more to there water purification system then DI water.

And how can you compair a small tank to thousands of gallons? Not the same, small tanks need more TLC then large tank. And if the get a algae outbreak its a natural occurance which they probably want for some of the critters they keep.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

It is all relative, really. Considering I work in that profession I can assure you that there are many zoos/aquariums just running softened well water, let alone ro and/or di, and run basic filtration in contrast to the animal bioload in order to make the display interesting and active. This really is not the place to have a heated debate in regards to professional/hobby experiences, but if you wish to discuss further over pm I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heated??
All Im saying now is you can not compair a tank to a lagoon.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com