Water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antonio718

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should i do a water change? I havent changed my water in about a week or two, i felt that i shouldnt have to, my ph-7.8-8.0, my ammonia-0, my nitrites-0, and nitrates are at about 20ppm, if i should do a water change how much should i take out about? 5 gallons? I have a 30 gallon FOWLR

I have 2 clowns
1 coral banded shrimp
2 snails
1 pom pom crab
1 emerald crab
3 red leg hermit crabs

I have a 29g FOWLR and I do a 5gallon water change (which is about 16% for a 29g) about every 2 weeks or I will do it every 10 days or so if I need to.
How old is your tank?

I'd say to do 20% every two weeks which would be 6 gallons. On a small tank such as a 30 the water quality can change quickly so you need to do your changes to help keep your fish healthy and to replenish some minerals.

mikestanked said:
I have a 29g FOWLR and I do a 5gallon water change (which is about 16% for a 29g) about every 2 weeks or I will do it every 10 days or so if I need to.
How old is your tank?

Its about 6 weeks old now

Yeah i would say its about time for a water change, imo its easier to buy pre-mixed saltwater from your LFS. that way its more than likely going to be the same every time.

i like to just do a 5gallon PWC because it only takes 2-5gallon jugs, 1 for old water and 1 for new water. by all means do a 6gallon water change, whatever works for you, i just find it easier to only lug around 1 jug each week or so...

ive been in the SW game only for 7months, and i dont think i changed my water for the first 2 or 3 months(rookie mistake) and now doing a 5g every 10 days, it really makes a difference in the overall health of your marine aquarium.

1 more thing, i would recommend cleaning your sand bed at least once every 2 months

I'd say to do 20% every two weeks which would be 6 gallons. On a small tank such as a 30 the water quality can change quickly so you need to do your changes to help keep your fish healthy and to replenish some minerals.

+1 if i would of heard this little tid bit in the beginning i would of went bigger!

mikestanked said:
Yeah i would say its about time for a water change, imo its easier to buy pre-mixed saltwater from your LFS. that way its more than likely going to be the same every time.

i like to just do a 5gallon PWC because it only takes 2-5gallon jugs, 1 for old water and 1 for new water. by all means do a 6gallon water change, whatever works for you, i just find it easier to only lug around 1 jug each week or so...

ive been in the SW game only for 7months, and i dont think i changed my water for the first 2 or 3 months(rookie mistake) and now doing a 5g every 10 days, it really makes a difference in the overall health of your marine aquarium.

1 more thing, i would recommend cleaning your sand bed at least once every 2 months

Yeah i was doin 5 gallon water changes buy adding conditiones fresh water cuz my salinity was high, how do you clean a sand bed? I figured id let my snails crabs and shrimp do the work? By having a protein skimmer i can do less water changes right? U think its worth me getting one for a 30 gallon?

Yeah i was doin 5 gallon water changes buy adding conditiones fresh water cuz my salinity was high, how do you clean a sand bed? I figured id let my snails crabs and shrimp do the work? By having a protein skimmer i can do less water changes right? U think its worth me getting one for a 30 gallon?

cleaning the sand bed is easy, just get your siphon going on your water changing tool and place the end on the sand bed, suck some sand up, then pinch off the hose and try not to move around until about 95% of the sand has returned to the bed. then repeat. YOUTUBE has some good but kinda boring video's to watch.

i have a protein skimmer too, and i really wouldn't have a SW tank without one(just my opinion)
there are so many protien skimmers out there, but i have a "CPR BAK-PAK" older style, hang on the back setup. thats rated for up to 60g i believe. they run about $200, i didn't pay for mine:cool: (i traded with a buddy) but i have no complaints

as for less water changes? i'm not to sure but it probably wouldn't hurt?
i live in southern california, within 2 miles from my LFS, so its easy to just go get some water for me. is that why your trying to do less water changes?

mikestanked said:
as for less water changes? i'm not to sure but it probably wouldn't hurt?
i live in southern california, within 2 miles from my LFS, so its easy to just go get some water for me. is that why your trying to do less water changes?

No my lfs is pretty close to me also, just curious, i was thinkin about getting a protein skimmer, what does it really do?

No my lfs is pretty close to me also, just curious, i was thinkin about getting a protein skimmer, what does it really do?

This will explain how a protein skimmer works and what its good for.(way better than i ever could)http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/proteinfiltersetups/ss/proteinskimmer1.htm

Just finished my water change, i baught a 4.4 already mixed saltwater and took out the same amount

Back
Top Bottom