Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trantman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When changing water how do you get your water up to the same temp as the main tank is it just a matter of putting a heater in the water butt? Any advice on how people go about their water changes would be interesting and how often are you doing it?

I mix mine in a trash can with a power head and a heater

Mix in a separate container for at least 24 hours with power head, heater and thermometer.
Match the temperature and salinity as much as possible to your DT.

Mix mine up in buckets, and put it next to my radiator heater I bought from Wal-Mart. I change about 15 gallons out every two to three weeks so three buckets around the heater works well.

I also just stir it with a painting stick you can get at Lows for free.

I mix mine up in Home Depot buckets that I designated for mixing and stir the hell out of then after I match that sg I siphon the water to 5 gal water jugs that I let sit for 2-3 days ( shaking periodically ) and put them in the house which for me gets them about .5 F of my tank. If needed ill move them to the laundry room to warm up a bit or to a cooler room to cool down which takes about 6 hours or so ( I always keep my jugs capped )

So are you doing weekly water changes or two weekly, so far I have done approx 20% per week but thinking about 40% fortnightly due to time? What do you think ?

Back
Top Bottom