Water change questions....(Formerly titled "Polls"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15g for a 65g aquarium every 2 weeks just got my RO so now I'm doing 5 gallons a day to clear it out. I'm impatient and I have a saltwater aquarium funny how things work out :-\

Great Subject,

I have a very automated system...except for water changes. I love to watch and hand feed my inhabitants, but never seem to find the time for the water changes. I must confess to only doing a 15 gal change in a 96 Gal system only about once every 3 to 4 months. I never measure any nitrate buildup or see unhealthiness, so I can't make myself do the task. The tank is filtered by 110 lbs LR, a small mechanical filter, 2 powerheads, a prism skimmer, and an "ecosystem" type caulerpa algae scrubber (16gals of 96gal system). I have a 6" regal blue tang, a 4" yellow tang, 2 ocellaris clowns, a 3"coral beauty, and a single 2" green chromis. Also it has several soft corals, 2 hard corals and many inverts. It has been running very successfully for over two years now.

However, recently, an outbreak of red fuzzy algae is quickly spreading. I did a water change upon first noticing this (with a manual cleanup attempt) and then did another 2 weeks later to try and stop the spread. It seems to have no affect and I still measure no nitrate build up. It concerns me and I'm not sure if it's related to infrequent water changes. Its a subject under the "identification" forum.

Back
Top Bottom