Water change shocked fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are quite correct. My error. It is velvet.

So, what's the answer? You seem to have the knowledge I seek.
What is the correct SG/T for treatment of cryptocaryon irritans.

My current understanding is 8 weeks will cure the display tank providing it is free from fish. This is similar to fresh water ich, break the cycle.

What about the fish? Obviously medication free treatment is better for everyone.

Well in a qt it would be 1.009 but you would need a refractometer to do hypo you can't do it with a regular hydrometer and you need to lower the salinity slowly,or you could use copper cupramine is very good and you'll need a copper test kit one that tests free or ionic copper and 8 weeks should be enough to kill of the ich in your display. Remove the fish from the display and you can keep the inverts in there. Just remember you can't do any of these treatments in the display tank.

Well in a qt it would be 1.009 but you would need a refractometer to do hypo you can't do it with a regular hydrometer and you need to lower the salinity slowly,or you could use copper cupramine is very good and you'll need a copper test kit one that tests free or ionic copper and 8 weeks should be enough to kill of the ich in your display. Remove the fish from the display and you can keep the inverts in there. Just remember you can't do any of these treatments in the display tank.

1.009! My figure 8 is happy there! Yes I have a hydrometer, proper test equipment is on the cards but it is really expensive (not the refractometer they go for about £50)
not really worth it for a puffer fish (more hardy broad range happy)
probably yes for an expensive reef.

Yes salinity up/down I understand this, osmotic shock, filter bacteria etc.

(I got the display tank thing, corals inverts only, copper is bad for them)

It surprises me it's that low, that is the upper limit of a low end brackish system.
So temperature is no use? Just maintain T? Should I lower it? That would be my guess, freshwater fish seem to be assisted by lower T at medication time. O2 levels, growth rates/cycle times etc.

(Good heads up on the copper test (y))

So pretty much the only way to get rid of marine ich is salinity of 1.009? No other way (besides meds since I have inverts and no quarantine tank)??

So how can u get rid of ich in the show tank?

You need to remove all the fish from the show tank and treat them in a qt. Then leave your show tank fallow (without fish) for 6 to 8 weeks in order to kill off the ich I personally would opt for the longer time to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom